Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    change2013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 08:18 AM
    How to obtain money from Philanthropists
    I am a retired disabled veteran. I am only receiving 40% disability from the Veterans Administration and trying to have it increased, however, it's taking forever. I need money to make home improvements and pay off my bills. What methods can I use to obtain money. Can you help.

Sincerely
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2013, 11:42 AM
    I know of no way to get money without working for it.

You can apply to churches and charitable organizations and see if you qualify for any assistance.

You can also apply to the County for benefits.

If you are asking for donations that is not allowed here.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
    I would recommend that you contact Veteran's organizations like the VFW and see if they can recommend anything to you. Also, there are some community organizations that have volunteer days to make repairs to homes of elderly or disabled individuals. Perhaps if you called Habitat for Humanity, they would know of someone who would do this type of service.

Perhaps you should also consider giving up your home and get subsidized veteran housing such as an apartment that requires less maintanance. You would likely qualify for low-income subsidized housing, and an apartment would require less maintenance - it would be the landlord's responsibility.

These benefits do take forever to get approved and I understand how hard it is. However, if you can get by in the interim, once approved, they pay retroactive to the date of application once approved and you will receive a large check at that time. There is not a guarantee of approval, but you likely know whether you meet their application criteria.

Another thought is that you might get a roommate to help cover expenses. You might be able to find another man in a similar boat through a local VFW or other military organization like that.

And another idea is to contact your church or another church in your area. You can ask for an appointment to speak with their pastor, and ask if they can recommend area resources. They may have their own program to help you, or may know of other area resources - these organizations tend to work together and know about each other.

Keep in mind, too, that there are many food shelves out there that ask few questions and can help you by reducing what you have to spend. Groceries are such a big cost, that alone could save you a couple hundred dollars a month and still permit you to eat in a healthy and adequate way.

I'm sorry for your hardship. My uncle was disabled in Vietnam, what - like 40 years ago now - and was just approved for full VA disability benefits THIS year. He was able to work for many years but with age, the impacts of agent orange left him unable to work as he started suffering mental and increased physical deficits with age that were officially accepted as Agent orange related. It took over a year to get qualified but then he received a check for around $30,000, which enabled him to move across country closer to family. He qualified for veteran housing at a reduced price and got an apartment in Chicago for $700 per month, really cheap for where it is. He moved to the city to eliminate car expenses, as he can use public transportation. Until he was approved though, he went through really tough times - staying on people's couches, and for a while in an indigent hotel, cooking on a hot plate and living as basic a lifestyle as possible, going to a food shelf to get groceries. Now that he is getting the medical care he needs and is living in a better place, he's going to try to give back by setting aside part of his benefits to help other people, and he's looking for a program where he might be able to do a bit of volunteer work - something that he can do with his disabilities. Things will get better for you, too - hang in there.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 12:01 PM
    Often your village and/or township has a list of home-improvement volunteers or low-cost companies. Call their offices for that -- and for more ideas, call the reference desk at your local public library. Reference should have a binder of local and county services and/or a database of such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philanthropists sites [ 1 Answers ]

Philanthropists that give [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know if anyone knows of a philanthropist that helps someone out in dire needs. I am disabled and have a fallen behind in my bills all I need is a helping had to catch up after that there is enough monthly to keep myself going. I have an 11 year old child and myself I have worked hard...

How to ask Philanthropists for Money [ 26 Answers ]

I have an exceptionally innovative affinity-based fund-raising idea for non-profit organizations; however there is a start-up fee of $500 per organization. I want to know how to ask philanthropists, ie: Bill Gates, the Moores, Oprah, etc. for the money to finance these start-up fees for the...

View more questions Search