Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tienmva1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2013, 06:09 PM
    Can I both study Aviation Management and Airline Pilot?
    I want to become an airline pilot. However, I also want to have a bachelor degree in Aviaiton Business Management just in case I would not be able to fly in future. What major should I take? And what University I should go to?
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Apr 1, 2013, 11:46 PM
    What are you studying right now?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 01:56 AM
    Are you going to a school that offers various aviation degrees, since "Pilot" is normally not a degree but something you become while learning another aviation program.

Most commercial pilots go to a commercial aviation school where they learn to be a pilot, get flight time , and get commercial ratings.

Apr 2, 2013, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    what are you studying right now?
    I am senior at high school right now.

Apr 2, 2013, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Are you going to a school that offers various aviation degrees, since "Pilot" is normally not a degree but something you become while learning another aviation program.

Most commercial pilots go to a commercial aviation school where they learn to be a pilot, get flight time , and get commercial ratings.
    Do you have any pilot school suggestions for me?

Apr 2, 2013, 06:24 AM
    OK, yes you can do aviation management. Because commercial pilot training will give you commercial pilot license. So you need a degree alongside. It's up to you what you chose to do first. There are many flight schools. A&M aviation, ATC flight training centre, Acadania flight centre etc.

Apr 2, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    ok, yes you can do aviation management. because commercial pilot training will give you commercial pilot license. so you need a degree alongside. it's up to you what you chose to do first. there are many flight schools. A&M aviation, ATC flight training centre, Acadania flight centre etc.
    Do you think Embry Riddle or Florida Institute of Tech are good?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2013, 08:44 AM
    You can major in Aviation management and also obtain a pilot's license, which may be included in your aviation management education program. Different schools may have different names for the programs they offer so call and visit a variety of colleges with aviation programs, and check out their websites. Many aviation schools only offer a pilot's license - they are like driving schools for planes - and not a college degree, so be careful of that when you do your search. Most major airlines are going to want either military experience or greater education, and they also look for hours of time in flight and certifications on different sizes and types of planes. Most pilots train throughout their careers to be certified on whatever new planes are coming into service.

There is a website called bestaviationschools.net which you might take a look at.

I am from Illinois and I know that Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, and Lewis University in south Suburban Chicago (I think near Warrenville) both offer excellent aviation programs.

Another option is to join the Air Force and learn aviation on the job. You would have GI benefits when you finish your service so you could continue to a degree, and you probably could begin school while in the service. Be aware though that not everyone qualifies. To fly you have to have a very high score on the admission exam. They will disqualify you from an assignment as a pilot if you need glasses or contacts, also. And we just learned in my household that the military - all branches including the reserves and ROTC - disqualifies anyone who has ever taken medication for ADD or ADHD. If this is the case for you, you would have to pursue a private degree and pilot's license and not rely on the military.

Given that you are a senior, you are getting a late start on this. My son has already been accepted for college, and has all his financial aid and loans figured out as well - he has his dorm reserved, deposits paid and so on. You might not be able to get in for fall but you should still try because some schools have very late enrollment deadlines or "rolling admissions" and some will permit freshmen to start in January. You can enlist in the service at various times throughout the year and given we're at war, they need people and would probably work with you.

If it is too late to get into the college of your dreams for this year, don't loose heart. You can enroll at community colleges at the last minute. If you know roughly where you want to go for the following year, you can find out what core classes you can transfer and then start at a community college. You can get some of your basic classes like Western Civilization, English Literature, foreign language, whatever math you might need, and so on out of the way in community college and then transfer to a four-year school for the 2014-2015 school year. This can save you a lot of money, too - you can probably cover tuition for a community college just with student loans. At least in my area, all you have to do to qualify to enroll in community college is to have your high school transcripts sent to them and maybe take a basic English test to prove you have enough understanding of the language to understand what your teachers are saying in class.

Good luck to you. Sounds like an ambitious, exciting and high-pay career you have in mind!

Apr 2, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tienmva1 View Post
    Do you think Embry Riddle or Florida Institute of Tech are good?
    Embry riddle seems to be pretty good, so does Florida tech. choose according to convenience.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2013, 10:58 AM
    How are your grades?

It is now April of your Senior year. I cannot believe that any school has freshmen openings. Most people apply very far in advance.

What were your plans before you decided on a career in aviation?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Another bit of advice - don't restrict your search to schools which publish the cheapest tuition and fees. There's a ton of financial aid out there. Often the cheapest schools on paper are the state schools. That said, the private schools often have more grants and both academic and need-based scholarships available.

For example, my son applied for a state school here in Illinois where the costs were about $20,000 for tuition and fees and $10,500 for room and board. He also applied for a private school where tuition and fees total $31,000 and room and board is the same, $10,500.
    The state school could only offer him a $1,500 pell grant and $5,500 in student loans. The private school came up with $20,000 in a combination of grants, scholarships and discretionary discounts based on our finances. He's still getting the Pell grant and student loans. So, the "cheaper" school would have cost us about $23,000 additional to loans and grants. The more "expensive" school is going to cost us about $3,000 on top of the loans and grants for a $20,000 savings for just one year.

So - yeah - look broadly and apply to wherever interests you, then try to make the money work out. It is a disadvantage to apply late - you should apply in fall for early admission, the do your FAFSA as soon as your parents taxes are filed for first crack at aid and scholarships that are offered by the school. At this point, a lot of the money has been given out already for next year. But like I said - you can get a student loan and pell grant at the last minute, and can easisly still go to a local college if you can't enroll where you're going to graduate for next year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating an airline pilot [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have just recently signed up to a dating site and have been invited on a date with a 48 year old plot! He says he trains pilots too! What interesting questions can I ask?

Mba in aviation management [ 0 Answers ]

I am about to finish my btech in mechanical engg from india and I would like to do my masters in aviation management in griffith university australia .can you tell me my job oppurtunities after I have completed the masters and your view on griffith university.if I am likely to get a job after my...

BBA aviation management [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to do BBA in aviation management.Can anybody tell that what are the subjects in that? Is it necessary to have a knowledge in Physics and Mathematics? Because I did commerce in my 12th standard.And what are the scope in this field?

Dating an airline pilot? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, is there anyone out there dating an airline pilot? If there is, which Im sure there is, I need some help here.

Becoming a Passenger Airline Pilot [ 2 Answers ]

What skills does this field take? I've been researching my butt off but can't seem to find any information on these questions. On average, how many days per week does a pilot work? It's obviously a traveling career, but do you actually have the opportunity to explore the city you're in? ...

View more questions Search