Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LizzyL58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2013, 07:38 PM
    My car won't go into gear when it is turned on
    My car has been sitting in the driveway for approximately 3 months. I recently had it registered, topped it up with all the necessary fluids and went to start it. Started 1st pop, but when I went to put it in 1st gear, while the engine was turned on, It would not go into gear. But, every time the engine is turned off, I am able to put it into gear. Someone please help as this car is parked in my work driveway and they want me to remove it... yesterday.

PS, I am a female, so could you please speak in Lamens terms, thank you.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Silly question but... are you stepping on the brake pedal when you try to put it into gear? Pushing the button on the gear selector?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2013, 08:03 PM
    Stick shift? If the car has been sitting in wet weather, the clutch may have rusted to the flywheel. Sometimes it will free up with a push. Also make sure the fluid in the slave cylinder, if so equipped, is full and bled.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2013, 01:29 PM
    This sounds like a stick shift car with this type of problem. I could explain in very layman's terms if you would report back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't go into gear! [ 33 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I went to start my car and put it in gear but the gearshift was stuck in park. It would not shift out of park. Can you tell me what is wrong with my car?

My car won't go into gear [ 4 Answers ]

I have a manual, and when I put it into gear, it feels like there's nothing there. I can put it in first and slide it right over to fifth. What's wrong with it?

Car won't go when in gear [ 2 Answers ]

I have checked out all things possible that was told to check for. But after searching other sites, was told maybe it might be the "neutral safety switch" Could this maybe the proble?

My car won't shift into gear [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 94 cutlass supreme 3.1 AT when I start my car it drops into gear no problem and about after 30 seconds of driving fine in D it falls out of gear stays in a "false neutral state" Until I turn off the car and let it sit for 20 seconds or so. I checked the AT fluid and it does seem very...

Why won't a car go into gear [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2009 kia spectra I can put it into reverse drive netural 3 2 and 1 but I just won't go anywhere like it just won't switch over. What should I do

View more questions Search