Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timhath90 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2013, 07:00 PM
    That weird feeling you get?
    What is that weird feeling you get when it feels like your stomach is floating inside you when you go down a steep ride like a roller coaster?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
    Gravity.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Your stomach is floating inside you, sort of. In freefall as the coaster rolls down, there's a feeling of weightlessness.

From Why does your stomach feel weird on a rollercoaster? | How It Works Magazine --

On Earth, gravity pulls us towards the ground. However, the force you notice isn’t the downward pull of gravity, but the upward force of the ground beneath you. The ground pushes up on your feet, pushing up on your bones and organs. The sinking feeling in your stomach when on a rollercoaster or driving over a hill is caused by a change in force experienced by your organs.

When in freefall, every part of you is accelerating at the same rate, which gives you a similar feeling to weightlessness. There is no upwards force from the ground to cause your organs to be compressed, so they are floating inside of you, even though you are falling. Our bodies aren’t used to this change in force on our organs, which causes messages to be sent in the brain that something is amiss.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2013, 04:55 AM
    I love that. And roller coasters too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird foot feeling [ 7 Answers ]

The other day I started feeling this weird tingly feeling in my foot. It feels like it is on the verge of falling asleep, but then it doesn't. It sort of feels like it has all the blood rushing from it and when I stand up, I expect the blood to go rushing back, but it doesn't. It's like a "cold"...

Feeling weird the last few days [ 0 Answers ]

Dizziness, queeziness, headache, dry/weird tasting mouth off and on. What could be wrong?

Weird feeling. [ 0 Answers ]

Just a quick question. I switched my birth control last Thursday to Mirena from the depo shot. Of course the first thing you do at the dr office is to take a pregnancy test. My came up negative. I was sexually active a few days before that but don't think anything happened. But there's always a...

Weird feeling in muscle [ 4 Answers ]

I am 20 years old and I work out on a regular basis but recently, when doing dips, I've been getting a very strange feeling in my tricep on my left arm. It feels like there are hundreds of little bubbles popping inside my muscle whenever I push myself up. They don't hurt at all but they feel very...

View more questions Search