Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2013, 04:50 PM
    Is the new gay rights symbol being abused?
    As many of you may be aware, there is a new symbol, a symbol that is quickly becoming as well known as the pink ribbon for breast cancer, the wings and snakes wrapped around a stick for doctors, the red ribbon for heart disease, and many other symbols we've come to know. The new symbol is the gay rights symbol;

Google Image Result for http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/red-equal-signs-marriage-equalityjpg-0fababd8b362bf7c.jpg

The red box with two pink equal signs.

Now, many people are altering this symbol on fb for their own agenda. I've seen the red box with two pink foot prints to signify that abortion is wrong. The red box with two pink guns to signify the fight against gun control, and many others. I have to admit, I shared one that I saw on a friends page, it was a red paw with the pink equal sign, the message was "I don't care who gets married as long as they're good to their dog". I shared that one because it still promotes gay rights, and it supports what I fight for as well, which is animal rights.

So, am I a hypocrite because I posted an altered version of this new symbol, but posted that I'm very upset to see people posting altered versions to promote their own agendas? I will add that when I shared the paw print version, it was because it told the message that being gay and marrying is okay, that they have just as much right to marry as we do, and that to me it doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, as long as you're good to your dog.

Here's how I feel. I posted the altered paw version because it still promoted gay rights. If it hadn't, I wouldn't have shared it on my page. The others I mentioned are not at all about gay rights, they're posted for the persons cause, their agenda, and in fact, the one person that's most guilty of doing this that's on my friend list (and yes, I'm questioning that friendship) has made it clear that she's completely against gay rights. That's fine, she has a right to her opinion, but to steal the symbol, change it, to promote your own agenda, when you're against gay rights, to me is a major slap in the face to everyone that is promoting this cause.

I liken it to taking the breast cancer symbol and making it look like a swastika because you hate jews and want to promote your cause. Actually, its worse than that because I don't know anyone that wouldn't support people with breast cancer.

Am I overreacting? If so, why, and how do you feel about it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2013, 05:36 PM
    I did not like it when the gay rights started using the rainbow, that was a symbol used for other groups for years before, Groups steal and use things, the ribbon was used for everything from POW after VN to so much more. Siince they change, it is just a new symbol slightly like another

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know of a fathers rights group that can help with children being abused. [ 1 Answers ]

My soon to be ex-wife has in the past abused my two children 6 and 8.I have pictures and audio. Child protective services were called and they failed to do anything about it, also a Detective from the County was stopped when he was trying to get the Prosecutor to charge her with a child abuse. I...

My employee (and human) rights abused [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I live in VA and my boss at this store I worked at denied me health benefits that I was qualified for and I signed up for during open enrollment. When I asked about it he made a racial comment towards me. He also encouraged other employees to racially harass me. He's also threatened to beat...

Gay rights [ 4 Answers ]

My partner and I are moving from Indiana to Iowa. We had a domestic partnership agreement and wills made out here in Indiana. When we move to Iowa will we have to have these redone in Iowa?

View more questions Search