Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nidgec67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Depression in Pregnancy - How to offer support
    Hi,

I hope I can get some real direct advice?

My partner is pregnant and in her first trimester, she has 3 children already with the youngest being 6.

I had noticed my partner becoming irritable and snappy over the past couple of days. I said I had noticed she was upset recently where she replied that she is upset, just come back from seeing the Doctor as she is depressed, explaining she feels like she has a big black cloud over her. I asked if there were any triggers or specific worries or concerns linking her to feel this way, she said she just feels down in general and she will feel like this for the next 7 months so I can deal with it or end the relationship.

I've offered the support and said (as we don't live together) and said I'm in this for the long haul, its took me a lot of years to find my ideal woman and she is it.. I tell her I love her, that she looks beautiful and if she need help to just ask, even if it's a chat at 3am in the morning.

I can she and feel the lack of emotion and to be fair I am struggling with the fact that she dosen't want to see me, talk to me and says my over affection and offers of help irritating.

If I could reach inside her and take this illness out out would, I need some sound advice on what to say, how to cope?

Her Doctor has prescribed a low dose of antidepressant but she has decided to wait 3 week until after the 1st trimester due to the potential side effects.. I am worried that this is having a negative impact on the relationship and my head is in turmoil... I love her to pieces and genuinely want to help.

Please help?

Check out some similar questions!

Getting support for depression from my boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for just over three years and have been dealing with depression for about 4. Its recently returned, not as bad as before but still bad; the last time I went through a bad about of depression my boyfriend broke up with me. I want to try to explain to him how I'm feeling...

Pregnancy/Child Support [ 3 Answers ]

I told myself it was never going to happen, not to me, but it did.. now my ex girlfriend is pregnant after a painful breakup she tells me this. She is completely unwilling to go through with abortion or adoption and wants to carry on with the childbirth because she is afraid she will not be able...

Anti depression medication and pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

I know a girl who was taking an anti depression drugs. She took it during the first trimester of her pregnancy. And from what I heard her doctor told her that there's a good chance that her baby might be physically harm and definitely will have mental retardation. That is just a rumour but I want...

Unplanned Pregnancy, little to no support [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I have had a rough last year and half. My husband lost his job last year August, we had to live with his family for a while... then I lost my job in April. We actually ended up becoming homeless in July and did not find a steady place to live until September. During all of this,...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.