Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLNovice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips
    Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see that the pipe coming out of the wall is constantly dripping.
    The washers on the shower hose etc. are all fairly new as I put this up less than a year ago.
    It doesn't seem like there could be anything you could do to a shower hose that would stop leaking from the pipe.
    What about replacing washers in the 2 faucets that turn on the shower, or are most of these faucets these days washerless. Appreciate any advice.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
    The newer hand held showers have a check valve built in and they leak. The threads also sometimes crack. You may have to purchase a new one or remove the check valve. Removing the check valve is illegal.
    FLNovice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I totally removed the shower hose from the pipe and the found out that the pipe drips. Not a lot but, about 8 or 10 oz in a day, what I don't understand is if this dripping is normal and something about a shower hose is supposed to stop it or if I need to change the washers in the faucets, it has 2 faucet handles on the wall and I am assuming they have washers and or that they might need reseating. As you can see from my name I am new at the home repair game and you're right I am trying to save money and at the same time trying to master some much needed skills around the house.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 06:56 PM
    What you need to do is shut the water off and open up the faucets. The newer washerless cartridges work about like the old ones with washers. Pry the cap off, remove the screw and handle revealing a nut. Unscrew it and the whole works comes out. If you are lucky, it will have a washer you can replace. Otherwise, take the cartridge to a good hardware store and let them help you identify the correct replacement. Hot and cold take different ones. The cartridges are much more expensive than washers, just as much work to change, and leak if you get a little dirt in them.

If the seat is bad, it will continue to leak unless you replace it. Cheaper faucets don't have replaceable seats. If you have to rip the wall out to replace it, I would go with a single handle. I find they need less maintenance.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Novice, what brand of faucet do you have?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2010, 06:12 AM

Sumiya, Suki,
    You are both responding to a old thread that's dead. Please look in the upper left hand corner for the date. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rust buildup in well inflow pipe(hose) [ 2 Answers ]

I have rust buildup in the one inch pipe (hose)that runs from my well into the house. The hose that runs from the pump to the point where it exits the well is clean. The buildup is only from the point wherethe pipe (hose) exits the well and goes to the house. This is seemingly reducing water...

Leaking drain hose [ 1 Answers ]

My drain hose that is attached to the washer and drains into the wall is leaking at the connection from the washer. How do you tighten the clamp? Is it possible I need to get a new clamp? So far I have cleaned up 2inch standing water 3 times in my laundry room. Each time I think I have it tight...

Shower Pipe Drips When Shower Head is Removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I keep buying new hand held showers heads that leak from the hose. I buy Delta brand. After I installed a new one yesterday, it started leaking from the hose again. Today I took off the entire shower head and see that from the pipe that comes out from the wall, it drips water at a pretty...

Hose Pipe Drain - Not There [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into my first home. It's a new construction. I have connected my dryer, even replaced the cord because it was the wrong prongs. Now my washer has 3 tubes. I have connected the hot and cold, but there is no place for the drain pipe. Was this suppose to be in the house when it was built?...

View more questions Search