Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
    Just because that site removed her story, does not make it guilty of wrong doings!
    It also doesn't make them innocent.

On this site we base our replies on what the OP tells us. According to this OP she did not give that particular site permission to use her work. All answers to her question should reflect what she posted. We can't start guessing, or making up our own scenarios.

In other words, unless you saw a post made by this OP, on this site, that states she gave that site permission to post her work, there really was no reason for what you posted.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2013, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Valentin View Post
    I've seen this complaint on other Author's sites. I looked up her numerous posts on this site..................You can judge for yourself!!! I simply told her to be careful!!!!

And are you, "who ever you are" trying to intimidate me? I did read her complaint! Back fourteen years ago when she first wanted her work published, a lot of upcoming authors posted their work on reading sites.

Just because that site removed her story, does not make it guilty of wrong doings!

And by the way.............I'm a member here also!
    Sorry, but I read your post as a veiled threat. You are making assumptions about what this author may have done over 15 years ago. Assumptions that have little if any merit.

And yes you are a member here, with 2 posts now. So clearly you joined this site for the purpose of posting to this thread.
    Robert Valentin Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 01:32 PM
    I understand! If I was to post on this site I am Obama, you would believe me because I have posted here twice! Very professional indeed! I will post to this thread "no more"!

PS: "She asked how to get a person to take down a web site" Have a nice day my friend.
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 01:40 PM
    I understand! If I was to post on this site I am Obama, you would believe me because I have posted here twice! Very professional indeed! I will post to this thread "no more"!

PS: "She asked how to get a person to take down a web site" Have a nice day my friend.
    Yes, that was her question.

If you had bothered to read the entire thread, you'd see that it was resolved.

What you did was post that she probably agreed to have her work posted on that site, and that she should be careful when complaining about what they did.

If you posted that you're Obama, we wouldn't believe you, because we're not stupid. But, we would answer your question accurately, and factually, and disregard the things that are obviously not true. If you proved to be a troll "someone that lies for attention", then your posts would be removed.

It's a very different situation that what you did here.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 2013, 01:45 PM

No we wouldn't believe you, but we would give the benefit of the doubt to provide proof. Since this is a volunteer site I don't know what professional has to do with things.

And yes she did ask that, she was given helpful answers and the situation was resolved favorably. Then you come a long and try to warn her off based on nothing.
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No we wouldn't believe you, but we would give the benefit of the doubt to provide proof. Since this is a volunteer site I don't know what professional has to do with things.

And yes she did ask that, she was given helpful answers and the situation was resolved favorably. Then you come a long and try to warn her off based on nothing.
    Exactly!
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Aug 24, 2013, 06:51 AM
    I just got notified via my email about all of the activity on this post - and my thanks to ScottGem and Alty for defending me when I was at work and unable to speak for myself.

As to your comments, Robert, I'm not sure which author you think I am, but I posted about this here, notified my publisher (as was suggested here), who posted on her blog because I wasn't the only author she has a contract with whose full works appeared on that site - and I made sure to change my own web site to mention that the few chapters I've posted are my own work despite the fact that I originally was posting under an alias. On my personal site, I didn't mention anyone specific when I restated that the material on my web site is copyrighted - and that I have written permission from the copyright owners for all works that appear on my site. How is that slander?

Just for your own reference, this is the definition of this situation per the US Government: "Copyright infringement is the use of works under copyright, infringing the copyright holder's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works, without permission from the copyright holder, which is typically a publisher or other business representing or assigned by the work's creator."

I have signed contracts from the original publisher of my work as well as the company that bought out the original publisher's business. Those contracts give very specific rights to my work. No one from A Ghostwriter's Nest ever contacted me or my publisher to request the right to publish my complete book on their site. If you want to consider it slander that my publisher and I went after someone for copyright infringement, more power to you - but copyright law is VERY specific.

Now, by the same token, this is the official definition of "slander": "the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation." When the web site in question DID NOT have written permission to publish COPYRIGHTED material, there is no false statement, spoken or written, pertaining to their actions...

So, would you care to explain why you attacked me for telling the truth?

Aug 24, 2013, 07:15 AM
    Sorry if you lost any sleep over this issue! (((RAISED BROWS))) I myself back in the 1990's have posted my work on various web sites, under a pen name! Today I can't remember, or have kept records of my e-mails to various web sites that showed my stories back in the glory days. I do believe what you say!! I simply said to be careful! I was only looking out for your interest, but mostly for others who might be reading this post! God bless you my friend!!

Aug 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Robert,
    Well, it appears I may have misjudged you. The tone of your post did appear to be threatening and an attempt to intimidate rather than being helpful and cautionary. I still believe that. But your subsequent posts mollify that first impression.

Aug 24, 2013, 09:35 AM
    We are just minnows in a sea of corporate sharks! Been there done that! My only concern was using the sites name on the Internet! I was once threatened for "slander" when I made similar accusations and posted the site by name! I'm pleased to hear the issue has been resolved!

Thank you Scott for your understanding! God bless!
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Aug 27, 2013, 06:05 AM
    Sorry if you lost any sleep over this issue! (((RAISED BROWS))) I myself back in the 1990's have posted my work on various web sites, under a pen name! Today I can't remember, or have kept records of my e-mails to various web sites that showed my stories back in the glory days. I do believe what you say!!! I simply said to be careful! I was only looking out for your interest, but mostly for others who might be reading this post! God bless you my friend!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this bit of personal experience, Robert. I now understand your view in the earlier posts.

I've never been a particularly trusting soul, so I have two large (4 drawer - almost as tall as me) file cabinets with all kinds of things stashed in them. Among those things "stashed" are copies of the few emailed permission forms I got from the people whose works appear on my page, the snail mail permission forms, both from others and signed by me, works in progress, etc. When I was doing a random search (out of boredom) and came across the web site that had my entire book offered for free, the "two towers" were the first place I looked, just to make sure that I hadn't signed something off without realizing it, as I wrote my first book when I was home for two months restricted to "no bending, no lifting, no twisting" due to a back injury. Pain killers can cause memory lapses, so I confirmed that wasn't the case before asking for help through this forum...

The people here are very helpful, and I hope you stay with the group. Opening up about your own experiences is very cathartic, so I hope we haven't turned you away by misunderstanding where you were coming from.

Blessed be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Web site [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a web site to find cleaning services contract

Looking for a web site [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there.. I'm looking for aweb site named askme.com.. I was a member, but I became an official site for other stuff not related to answeing questions.. any 1 got an idea what happened to it?

Web site value [ 3 Answers ]

I own a large web site. Unders the relative key word search "saw blade sales" we come Up #1, I am intrested in selling the site to my disributor. Where can I go to find out What this Google ranking is worth?

Setting up web site and web shop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me the best way to set up a web site with web shop. I have looked online but overloaded with conflicting information. What things do I need and in what order?

Web site help [ 2 Answers ]

A web site has been made and we would like to go in and change pictures and add pictures but have no idea how to do this. Some one else built the site but isn't able to work on it continuosly like we want. We don't know how to do any of it. Mostly focusing on adding pictures and mabye working on...

View more questions Search