Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymoney2spend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Need to learn the basics of floor care...
    I have two commercial properties wanting me to take over their floor care (I am the current janitor at both properties & they don't want to outsource the work any longer) I have ZERO experience and have had no luck finding an individual to teach me the trade. Are classes available, do businesses offer any instructional seminars? I have You-Tubed everything and the basics seem pretty self-explanatory but I need to know: How to determine WHAT the floor needs and WHEN it needs it.. how to maintain it... what products are used or what purpose and which ones are recommended. ANy advice would be greatly appreciated!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:42 AM
    I used to sell this type of products and our manufacturers were available to come out to meet with customers, walk through their facilities and recommend products and a treatment plan for each area depending on current condition, how heavy the traffic is in the area, and the type of flooring that was in use.

The place I worked is no longer in business, but I would recommend that you Google "commercial floor care" in your area or "janitorial supplies". Finding a good janitorial supply store in your area will help you a lot becausae they will be able to furnish what you need, and if they can't teach you what to use and when they can get you in touch with their sales rep for these products.

You may need a floor machine, depending on the size of facilities you are caring for and the type of floors they have. If it's lighter wear you may be able to rent this equipment a few times a year instead.

The main thing is, you won't find what you need in traditional stores like Home Depot, etc. You need to find that commercial supplier in your area.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Hi,

I am in agreement with the above post exactly what I would have recommended--good post.

I would add that these janitorial supply companies do have educational classes and seminars, ask them about these and ask a lot of questions.

There is a site on line that is dedicated to janitorial that will answer your questions, you may have to join for a nominal charge:

Janitorial Store - commercial cleaning tips and success tools for small cleaning companies

Good luck,

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Care Question [ 3 Answers ]

Someone please help me out. I want to hire a sales rep to get more work. I would like to know how much comission do I pay a sales rep? Is it a percentage of the contract? How much would I pay to my techs if they make additional sales? If they are working in a location and then they make an...

Networking Basics [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work at a printing company as electronic prepress tech. I don't understand how everything is networked. We're on a hub; 9 office PCs; in prepress we have 3 PCs (one a server) and 2 Macs. All computer have internet access. Right now we use an IT company and they do much remotely. Here's...

Where can I learn photography basics [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking of getting a pretty expensive camera :confused: I have a friend who has one similar and her pictures come out great. So my question is where can I find a website that can teach me the basics of photography. I do already know some basics but I want to really learn about how cameras...

View more questions Search