Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovebugs729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
    Why would someone accept a gift card in person then return it in your mailbox?
    As a token of my appreciation, I gave a co-worker a gift card to Starbucks. They accepted it and said they would love to stop by and get a coffee on the way to work one day. A week later, I found it in the original envelope with a note that said, "Thank you for the gesture but you don't owe me anything, thanks" and they signed their name.

I am extremely confused. I could understand if you didn't like Starbucks and had no use for the card. However, why accept the card and say you could use it, then hide it in my office mail box?

This person is head of our department and has to cover when people are out. It just so happens I had to be out for a week due to illness and doctors orders. A lot of people have been out sick lately and it just makes me wonder if this person is mad about having to cover.

Was I wrong in offering a thank you gift? I did it because I was genuinely grateful. There was no other motive.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
    It may be against company policy. She/he is in a leadership position and that may be another reason. I sent a gift card last week to a very nice animal control officer who helped me over the phone. I had it returned to me in the mail. I'll assume it was against company policy.
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2013, 06:31 PM

If it isn't a matter of policy then iss it possible that after accepting your gift this person thought it over and felt badly about having accepted it.

I know that sometimes when someone gives me a thank you gift I feel that I shouldn't accept it because we don't always have to be thanked for good deeds; however, I must admit it seems they picked an odd way of returning your gift. Talking to you in person would have been more appropriate.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
    She probably mentioned the gift to another employer or her supervisor, and was cautioned by one of them in some way or another.
    For whatever reason she made the decision,and it is her decision (or maybe her boss made the decision) but she handled it well in my opinion. Forget it and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I accept a gift? [ 2 Answers ]

I took a friend to the local mall because she does not drive. She then proceeded to ask me if I wanted a certain fragrance I was smelling. I really didn't want to accept, but she insisted. What should I have done?

A gift tax return filing requirement by a foreign person [ 4 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen. My brother in korea wants to give a property in the U.S. to me as a gift. In this case is he required to file a gift tax return and pay gift tax? Is he also entitled for the gift tax credit even if he is a foreign person?

MIL cannot accept a gift [ 4 Answers ]

My MIL is going to be 91 this year. She cannot go shopping to buy clothes and wears the same pair of slacks to every doctor appointment. I bought her a nice new pair in one of her favorite colors, let her try them on for size, shortened them to fit her, and she was very pleased. She knew this was a...

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

View more questions Search