Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ikonos Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Prospective employer asking for a copy of paystub
    A prospective employer is asking for a copy of a pay stub from my current employer. Is it ethical for them to ask and for me to provide it to them? How can I politely say no to them? The prospective employer is a startup company. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 01:26 PM
    It appears they are trying to establish what you currently make. Do you not want them to know this info? If no, tell them that you do not have a stub.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
    You can politely say no to this prospective employer. What your previous pay stub states is not their business. While I would not be that blunt, I would decline their request saying I did not feel it pertained to employement with them.
    ikonos Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
    I do not want them to know and I gave them a ballpark estimate on what I am expecting.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Yes. I agree with you - you have your monetary expectations with the company and can give them what you are looking for in the terms of salary.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 20, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Sounds like you might have fed them a line about your salary and now they are calling you on it.

In any case though, I think it is unethical for them to ask or for you to give a copy of your current pay stub.

They can either pay you want you need to join their company, or choose not to fill your need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Of course they can merely call your past place of work and ask. It is one of the questions they ask when doing background checks.

I will assume you told them one figure, and they checked where you worked and it was not the same, and they merely want to verify you did not lie on the application.

You don't have to, but you will never get the job if you don't.
    There is a reason they are asking for it,

So did you inflate your earnings on your applicaton??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you have a copy of this book? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am looking for a book, and cannot find even a second-hand copy. I would like to buy a copy if anybody has one they would like to sell, or if they have any idea where I can get one (world wide) I would be grateful for the info. Thanks. The book is The ultimate guide to...

Copy and paste [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can show me how to copy and paste a link onto my browser.I right click,it will show copy,select all in the box. What do I do next?:confused:

Protecting prospective wife from possible debt [ 1 Answers ]

I am in poor health and can't get life insurance. Am considering getting married and wonder if there is any way to protect my wife should I accumulate catastropic medical bills. Would prenups have any ability?

Lp copy [ 4 Answers ]

Very very new to computing(middle age tecno fear)and need help .how do I copy all my all LP records onto my computer and then on to cd what hardware software would I need , any help would be great Thanks

View more questions Search