Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElsMama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Joint Custody - Which school district to enroll in?
    My exhusband and I both live in McHenry County, Illinois.

We currently have joint legal custody, and 50/50 parenting time.

Once our daughter starts kindergarten, we still have shared legal custody, but his visitation is reduced to every other weekend and a few hours Wednesday afternoons.

I have residential custody.

Because I have residential custody, I was of the belief that our daughter would be going to school in our district. I visited the schools and before-and-after-school care centers in our area.

My exhusband is now insisting that she go to school in his district. I am not happy with that option.

1. Can she go to school in his district (I have read that enrolling a child where they are not "residents", can bring on criminal charges, and he is NOT residential custodian)?

2. If the answer to #1. is "yes", what steps do I need to take to move forward, keeping her in my district?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
    First of all, which school has a better school report card? Have you visited the school district where he lives? As long as the parent has custody, which you both have, you should be able to enroll her in either district.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Enroll kids school [ 0 Answers ]

My husband has two kids they are with us more than the mother but he was ordered pay child support. Nobody has custody and she had keep kids from him for month no phone calls etc.. now we have them what should we do? What rights does he have could we enroll them n school ,she lives n differrent...

If I have joint legal & phys custody, can I block my ex's school choice? [ 1 Answers ]

I have joint legal and physical custody with my ex. She is trying to enroll them in a school I don't consent to. Can I block their enrollment?

Joint legal custody and school [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-wife and I have legal and physical custgody of our child. She does not work and is capable to pick up and drop off our child on her parenting day. However, she has a habit a sending people that I don't know to pick up our daughter. She gave the school and long list of a people that she...

Joint Legal Custody and School Enrollment [ 1 Answers ]

In a case where a child's parents are divorced, but share joint legal custody, do both parents have to sign off when a disabled child is moved from one school to another? Here is some background: My step son is 11-years old. He has autism and has been attending a private school since he started...

Can a mother with joint custody change a child's school without permission? [ 1 Answers ]

My Fiancé has a four year old, and with permission from her biological mother we moved about 50 miles away because my fiancé got a better job. She also said that she could go to school down where we are. To determine the new schedule we decided to met halfway to drop her off on thursdays and her...

View more questions Search