Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jroo99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Receptacles out but circuit breaker not tripped
    Hi,

Yesterday I had 4 receptacles and a ceiling fan go out without tripping any circuit breakers.
    Two weeks ago I plugged an extension cord into one of these receptacles with a large load and the outlets went out but also did not trip any circuits. I removed the extension cord and everything has been fine since.

I opened the receptacles and everything looks normal.

What could this be?

Thanks,
    John
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Try to identify which breaker protects that circuit. There could be a fault with it. Swapping breakers is not very hard (obviously be careful with power).
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 08:33 AM
    It is highly unlikely that it is a bad circuit breaker. This goes for most circumstances like this. Bad breakers are always a go-to response but are rarely the problem.
    More likely it is a bad connection at a receptacle. Look for a bad back-stab in the first dead or the last working receptacle on that circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker working when tripped? [ 5 Answers ]

I have one 20 amp circuit breaker, on approx. 20 outlets, instantly tripping. Curiously several outlets still maintain full power. Replaced breaker, which looked fine, same deal. Unplugged all items from dead outlets, same deal. Checked outer area of outlets, and listened in areas for pops,...

Receptacles not working, breaker is not tripped [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here we go. Receptacle was working fine. One day stopped working. Neon voltage tested that receptacle and the next two in line and same result, negative neon voltage test. Checked breaker, it is not tripped, turned it off, reset and turned it back on, still no power. The breaker line...

Power on circuit goes on and off - circuit breaker not tripped [ 3 Answers ]

The power on one of our circuit serving the garage and outside outlets goes off, but the circuit breaker does not trip. It used to go off for a few minutes/hours and to come back on for days/months. Now it is seems to be off most of the time, but still comes back occasionally for a few minutes...

Circuit Breaker Tripped, but still have power [ 6 Answers ]

I have a circuit breaker switch that is tripped and I cannot reset it. It keeps tripping. I have checked all the lights in every room in the house and have power. I have not checked all the outlets, but if the CB is tripped the lights in the room shouldn't come on. I've checked my GFI outlets...

20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?

View more questions Search