Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markgamboa23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Electrical answers
    I have installed #4/4 Type SOOW cord from a truss ceiling in a commercial building. It feed a service disconnect and is supported by a Keelum rated at 1160 LBS. I have used the correct size Hubble connectors.
    It is not consealed by a drop ceiling.
    I have searched the code book to find an answer as to why the inspector says "he does'nt like it".
    Can anyone direct me to fall back on?
    Thank you
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 23, 2013, 08:14 PM
    Electrical inspectors can invent things or simply not like something. If you want to continue to work in the area, you'll probably have to compromise (due something not required by code). How about encasing the wire inside some MC or Smurf Tube? That'd probably shut them up. There was an inspector in my area, and whenever the discussion came up about butt-hole inspectors everyone knew who you were talking about. He has since retired. Kissing a little fanny may make your next inspection as easy as a phone call.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 05:14 AM
    The inspector must tell you why "he doesn't like it".

I am not a fan of appeasing and coddling irrational and power mad inspectors.
    Politely ask him what the violation is. If he cannot produce a valid one then you have no violation. If he is insistent then go over his head.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    The inspector must tell you why "he doesn't like it".

I am not a fan of appeasing and coddling irrational and power mad inspectors.
    Politely ask him what the violation is. If he cannot produce a valid one then you have no violation. If he is insistent then go over his head.
    Yes Stan, I know what you mean. In my crazy city you can ask for a different inspector (they have territories), when you are pulling the permit. True, they must give you a reason why they don't like stuff; I just hate pissing off local idiots with big heads!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM
    I agree with Stan, this is our industry, our discipline, inspectors, installers, engineers have no authority to make up the code as they decide.
    Try to be polite and ask questions, don't give in so fast...

I hope Mark keeps after this inspector for a valid response, be polite but don't give up. Let the inspector know you're not an easy target...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical answers [ 3 Answers ]

I have run 2 sockets from a junction box with 2.5 cable,when I plug an appliance into one socket it works,but when I plug into the second socket both the live and nuetral become live and the appliance does not work the sockets are both the same and new

Electrical answers [ 0 Answers ]

Hi wonder if anyone can help? I'm unable to upgrade my current consumer unit at the moment but acknowledge it is very old style wire fuse ceramic fuse carrier style with no mcb or rcd protection. What I was wondering is if I was to fit a rcd to add some sort of protection to the house would I also...

Electrical questions answers [ 2 Answers ]

What are the consequences of using an AC voltage rated switch and wire for DC voltage rated equipment on a very small load 12 volt DC automotive windshield washer motor?

Electrical questions answers [ 2 Answers ]

My mother lives in an older house. Some of the outlets are wired with 14/2 w/earth gnd (3 pronged outlets). Some are wired with 14/2 w/o earth gnd (2 pronged outlets). My mother uses a lot of "cheater plugs" (adapts 3 pronged cords to 2 pronged outlets). This leaves the appliance cases...

Electrical Questions Answers [ 1 Answers ]

Whole house 200amp generator with transfer switch do the neutral and ground wires for the circuits in panal box have to be separated

View more questions Search