Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkbcunningham1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Leaky shower facuet
    My shower had a very huge leak problem. After doing some research I found that replacing the washer or the stem would be the best solution. I took out my cold stem and saw that it was completely corroded so I replaced it. I took the stem to the hardware store and a employee help me find the right stem for my shower (I hope). After installing it I noticed that leak has seriously improved, but only if I turn the knob really tight. Now I get a very slow drip and after a few minutes if I wipe the inside spout on the shower with a dry cloth the drip stops completely. What I am doing wrong? :confused:
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Have you tried the hot water side? Try two washers. Once you turn it really tight as you state, you could crack or break the new one. Good luck
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Did you replace the seats too?

Mar 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I will try the hot side and 2 washers today. Thanks for the input.

Mar 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Doug238,

I have no idea where the seats are located. Please advise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2007, 11:55 AM
    The seats are what the washer screws into, (See the shower valve image).
    They look like this, (see seat image) and are removed by a seat removal tool, (see image). If the seats are nicked or rough they will tear up a new washer real fast. Hope this helped and good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky shower faucet [ 6 Answers ]

Delta faucet had a constant drip,I changed the diverter,the seats and springs and reassembled,good news the drip is gone ,bad news is now it is leakingfrom theback of the mixer valve, any sugesstions

Leaky shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, what do I use to seal the drain in a stand up shower? Caulk? Silicone? Will I be able to use the shower the next day? Thank you

Leaky fiberglass shower [ 5 Answers ]

We remodeled our home recently and this included removing a tile shower and replacing it with a fiberglass shower which was on the second floor. The installation was done by a plumber. We noticed it leaking almost from the start. It drips into the room below down the ceiling fan only when my...

Leaky Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle shower. The brand is Kohler devonshire. It drips constantly. I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated Rich

Another leaky shower drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! A few weeks after moving into our (12 year old) house, we noticed moisture coming through the ceiling. The upstairs shower is right above the wet spot. We called our warranty company, and they sent out a technician who said that it was the shower drain, which has a crack in it (but of...

View more questions Search