Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wtyoung Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Silicon Jel or Plumbers Putty?
    When installing a new batroom faucet, is it better to use silicone or plumbers putty around the drain? I have always used putty - this new faucet drain said to use silicone - I did and it leaked. I guess I didn't use enough. Will putty be OK to use?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
    Hi wtyyoung and welcome to The Plumbing Page at ANHD.com. You're responding to a 4 year old dead threads so I gave you one of your own. Please check the date before you post. Thanks
    I'm a "old school" plumber and have always used plumbers putty on drain lips. Putty is perfectly acceptable. Good luck, Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
    X2
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
    I've always used plumbers putty as well, unless the manufacturer tells me to use silicone.

If you used silicone and it failed I have to figure that you didn't wait 24 hours before testing the drain... did you? If you use silicone, you need to wait 24 hours before testing for best and longest lasting result, OK?

And now you know why plumbers use putty, unless we absolutely must use silicone... ;)

Mark
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Agree with all above post's. I also always use putty unless stated otherwise on a sticker on the sink. Some sinks made of certain materials don't do well with putty (products from the putty can leach out and stain the sink around the drain, or so Ive been told). If you are simply replacing the faucet on an existing sink, it doesn't matter what the faucet install says, putty will work just fine.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 10:55 PM
    Agree with above posts. I also always use plumber's putty. Some manufacturers supply drain with white plastic seat-washer that is used instead of putty. They work pretty well. I never use silicone as wet silicone and water don't mix well. Also, customers don't want to wait up to 72 hours ( curing time for average grade silicone ) to start using their sink. However, your leak may not be related to the seating of the upper portion of the drain but may be related to improperly seated rubber washer under the sink. Tighten it up a bit more and see if leak continues. Back to you / Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 09:04 AM
    I've never seen a kitchen/bathroom anti-microbial silicone product require more than 24 hours to dry, Milo.

Heck, nowadays they even have siliconized 1 hour dry time caulking. Check it out here at this link:

GE Silicone II K/B Supreme Withstands Water One Hour After Application

I've used the product and it works GREAT! It even has a 10-year anti-mold guarantee! I should note that I still had the customer wait until the next morning to use the shower door I used it on!

Hope this helps someone with the same question down the road!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I use to replace plumbers putty on a plastic seal between the bowl and tank? [ 5 Answers ]

Had a leaking flapper valve and a leaking fill valve, so decided to completely replace the guts in our old toilet. When removing the tank, I noticed that the flush gasket connection was packed with tons of putty. Well, I cleaned it all out and replaced all the insides and put it all back together....

Tub drain plumbers putty [ 13 Answers ]

Water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the pipe connected to tub drain hole) every time water is running on the bathtub. See attached slide for more details of the problem.

Faucets, Plumbers Putty, leaking faucet base, Silicon [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I installed my faucet base with silicon and now it has a small leak. I am unsure what how to fix it. Should I be using plumbers putty instead of silicon? Is silicon better than plumbers putty? I have been recommended the silicon over the plumbers putty. The only issue is the base...

Liquid Silicon Manufacturing [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir Need To Know What Raw Material Will Mix And How To Have Liquid Rubber Silicon For Use In Food Industry , And This Silicon Will Use With Custom Mold And Not By Injection , Liquid Plastic If Also Appreciated if you aHave Information ,

Plumbers putty or silicone to seal bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Is it disastrous to use plumbers putty instead of silicone to seal a bathtub drain which uses ABS pipes ? I've gotten conflicting advice with little explanation that sounds reasonable. Thanks for your replies on this and for all your help in the past

View more questions Search