Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armywife060 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Why cant I find a job
    Ive been a stay at home mom for the past 3 years. And have worked part time on a as needed basis at the grooming shop my cousin works at. I go in today to see if they need me tomorrow and they said they would call me because they need someone they can depend on. I got sick at work last Friday and had to go home. Now that makes me undependable. Someone tell me why I can graduate with distinction and honors, work very hard when I was part of the work force yet I can't find anything not even a waitress at waffle house.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Who will watch your baby? You had a thread yesterday about a baby crying all the time and you had no one to help or watch the baby.

Mar 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Who will watch your baby? You had a thread yesterday about a baby crying all the time and you had no one to help or watch the baby.
    My husband is currently unemployed. The company he worked for went under. He is at home as well he would watch both children when I worked at the grooming shop. So until he finds work as well he can.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by armywife060 View Post
    My husband is currently unemployed. The company he worked for went under. He is at home as well he would watch both children when i worked at the grooming shop. So until he finds work as well he can.
    When he finds work what will happen?

Have you applied to any jobs? Have you gotten interviews? When you get an interview do you mention that fact that right now your husband is at home and watches your children, but once he gets a job you won't have a plan in place? That can play a large part in what a potential employer decides.

Mar 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    When he finds work what will happen?

Have you applied to any jobs? Have you gotten interviews? When you get an interview do you mention that fact that right now your husband is at home and watches your children, but once he gets a jobjob you won't have a plan in place? That can play a large part in what a potential employer decides.
    Ive applied for many jobs. Never do I get a call back for an interview. If I do go to work the plan is to put back enough to place the baby in a nursery if my husband finds work as well. That much I do have figured out. My daughter is in school. So with her I only have to worry about summer break.
    Pets Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
    The job market right now is not easy. There are med students that are working at McDonalds because that's the only job they can get.

What do you have on your resume that would be attractive to a potential employer?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:31 PM
    My husband is currently unemployed. The company he worked for went under. He is at home as well he would watch both children when i worked at the grooming shop. So until he finds work as well he can.
    I'm puzzled as to why you didn't mention this yesterday when we were trying to find solutions for you to get out of the house.
    Pets Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'm puzzled as to why you didn't mention this yesterday when we were trying to find solutions for you to get out of the house.
    Good question. I'm curious as well.

Mar 23, 2013, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Good question. I'm curious as well.
    Because I guess me needing a job wasn't that important because I thought I still had one. Apparently getting sick at work makes you undependable. My husband is a volunteer fire fighter.and like as of right now isn't here. 75%of his time is spent with that at the station. The other 25%he is home asleep. Hopefully that clears some of your confusion. I came here for help not criticism. My life is rough and disappointing. The only thing I have that's been a blessing are my children. Thanks for those who have been helpful.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 23, 2013, 03:12 AM
    I'm more confused than ever! I thought your husband was home to take care of the kids. Now he's at the firestation most of the time.
    This isn't about being critical; it's about getting to the heart of why you can't get a job. Many employers are suspicious of employees who suddenly get sick when they really have to rush home or somewhere to tend to their children because a family member or babysitter left or had to leave.
    But you also say that you have had interviews and had no call backs. We can help with that. A job interview is the one time of your life when you really, really brag about how good you are at any job you do, how well you interact with others, and how dependable you are about showing up for work. You also dress well, show up early, look the person in the eye, have an eager look on your face and in your voice, and pretend that your one aim in life is to work for them. You lie a little on your application, leaving out any jobs that only lasted a short time, and fill in the gaps with motherhood.
    BUT the question still remains: are you and your husband able to juggle child care or not?
    Pets Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
    Because i guess me needing a job wasnt that important because i thought i still had one. Apparently getting sick at work makes you undependable. My husband is a volunteer fire fighter.and like as of right now isnt here. 75%of his time is spent with that at the station. The other 25%he is home asleep. Hopefully that clears some of your confusion. I came here for help not critisism. My life is rough and disapointing. The only thing i have thats been a blessing are my children. Thanks for those who have been helpful.
    So he won't be home to care for your children when you find a job? You said he would be, now he's away 75% of the time, and sleeps when he's home.

No, it doesn't clear the confusion, I'm even more confused now. And I wasn't criticizing, I was asking questions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
    What about working at home? You seem to be a good writer with a good command of English. How about typing and/or editing papers for college students or typing master's theses or Ph.D. dissertations? With the computer, you wouldn't even have to leave home to pick up and return papers. You could easily set up a Paypal account for payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anyone help me find a receptionist job? [ 6 Answers ]

Am having a difficult time finding one that does not practice discrimination against full figured women.

Why can't I find a job! [ 6 Answers ]

I look and look and look and look. But there's no jobs. Everyone is HIRING. But they are either looking for a man or a elderly person, or a person with a degree.:confused::eek:

How can I find what I want for a job [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 18 and I'm looking for a job as me and my boyfriend are moving in together and he is putting presser on me about getting a job as we need all the money we can get as we are going to have a mortgage to pay but the thing is I am a very unconfident person which makes me shy, and its making it...

View more questions Search