Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 20, 2007, 10:05 AM
    I am 7 weeks along, what do I need to prepare for?
    ;) Hey all... I was wondering what kind of stuff I need to be doing to prepare for baby... like I've made a list of phone numbers for when I go into labor. Don't get me wrong, I don't already have my bag packed for my trip to the hospital or anything, I'm just wondering what I can do to be productive instead of just sitting around all the time. I'm aware of what to prepare for as far as my body changes and such, I just want to know what you guys did throughout your pregnancies. Any response would be great!! :)

Thanks so much! :p
    Kris
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 20, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Well, getting prepared now is important. Make sure you're taking prenatals and doing some kind of exercise. If you weren't that active before getting pregnant, don't push yourself too hard, but any exercise will help you for the coming months and delivery, it helps it go a little faster-so they say. It's good to do some research on things too. I made lists of what I needed to get done every month. I didn't pack my bag until the week of my due date.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Strengthen your body. Probably one of the most important things my wife did. By the time you hit late in the pregnancy you will absolutely appreciate the work you did to strengthen your back and core. The hormone relaxin can really take a toll on your hips as it prepares your body for delivery. Being strong physically can help you get through the process.

If you don't have a recliner you might look for one. There were times when that was the only way my wife could get comfy during the last month... and we hadn't planned on buying one, so it was an out of pocket surprise.

Read. During her first delivery my wife struggled with back labor. Some years later, when she became pregnant again, she really educated herself on techniques that can be used to help with delivery. We actually regularly talked to a certified nurse midwife quite a bit. Paid for the services. She had a wonderful library with great reading resources.

You might be able to check with a local midwife birthing center, if there is one, and see if they have a library that you could access for a fee. You have to be careful... sometimes its like dems talking about republicans and visa versa. The MD's think the midwives are not appropriate care and the midwives think the MD's cut too much, drug too much, and are blinded by their own training...

But if you can keep an open mind you can learn a lot. My point was, and I got away from it, because of her reading she understood how to tilt her pelvis to get the baby to turn. Instead of a dozen hours of back labor, like she had the first time, she had maybe 45 min of back labor and was able to get the baby to turn. Largely because she educated herself.
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Thank you guys! You both were very helpful!

Kris
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Yup tαke your prenαtαl pills- don't be like me (αlthought I quit tαking them because they mαde me throw everything up-eww)- exercise is α must, do whαt you cαn; wαlk, kegles kegles kegles!! congrαts on your pregnαncy hope it's αn eαsy one! Hey you cαn αlwαys stαrt on decorαting thαt nursery:-)
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
    One of the ways to keep from getting sick with prenatals is to take them before you go to bed, so if they do make you sick-you'll sleep through it. That's what I did, and it really helped.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Mar 20, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Yeα the doc. Told me thαt αnd I'd just wαke up to vomit:-( or I'd be worse in the morning.. but oh well.. I'm done with the pregnαncy now! :-)
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 04:29 PM
    I would suggest going through and buying some of the bigger things that you will need when baby comes. The more expensive things like cribs, and breast pumps(if you are going to breastfeed) bassinet, diapers(you'll be surprised how many they go through and how expensive it gets) a rocking chair, swing, bouncy seat, stroller, car seat, etc. If you buy things like that through out the pregnancy(stuff that won't matter what sex of baby you have) then when you get to the end, you won't have to crunch on bills and paychecks for those oh so important things.(they are also less likely to be things that people will buy you at a baby shower. With the except of diapers, but you can never have too many of those. Just don't buy a lot of newborn diapers, as they grow out of those really fast.) Also, it is always a good idea to get your hands on as much pregnancy info as possible, so that you can be well informed for anything that comes your way. What to expect when you are expecting, and your pregnancy month by month are really good books, that every prenant woman should have. Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!
    tntmiguez Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris1013
    Thank you guys!! You both were very helpful!!

Kris
    I just had a baby 10 weeks ago.. if I were you I would make sure that you have the crib of course and they have these things called a pack and play like at walmart or target they are only like 80.00 and it's a bassinet diaper changer and converts to a play pen once they get older.. it also folds up really little in case you need to take it on a trip or just store it for later it is the best thing in the whole world if you want I can send you a picture of it... also my baby is 10 weeks old and still loves this papisan swing I got him that has star lights and a mobile around it he just looks at the likes he really enjoys that... I wouldn't get to many clothes except of course what he wears home from the hospital because you have no idea he could be a preemie or a 9 pounder... I would make sure that I have burp rags, bibs, towels for babies not towels we use they are to hard, and also wash rags for them, johnson johnson baby shampoo and body wash to bathe him in... also once his embilicord falls of you can give him a real bath and they have this WONDERFUL bath (I can show you a pic if needed) that you get a target again and its so easy and my son loves it and it was only 17.00 also you can never have to many baby wipes trust me... and get some bottles... dr.brown bottles is what I use they are really good research shows you're baby is less likely to get colic or gas with these bottles... you can get them at walmart as well... I would get at least 6 unless you want to wash bottles everyday because they will eat 6 times a day at first.. me being lazy I got 12 so I only have to wash them every other day... oh and a bottle warmer because once you put the milk or formula in the fridge it has to be heated they are really easy you fill it up with water turn the nob and set the timer depending on how much your feeding him and then just check it on your wrist... the one I have is called parents choice its sooo easy! Well I hope I was some help if you need anything else ask me maybe I can help good luck! And if you want the pics let me know I can send you the link to order online!
    Sigh Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris1013
    ;) Hey all...I was wondering what kind of stuff I need to be doing to prepare for baby....like I've made a list of phone numbers for when I go into labor. Don't get me wrong, I don't already have my bag packed for my trip to the hospital or anything, I'm just wondering what I can do to be productive instead of just sitting around all the time. I'm aware of what to prepare for as far as my body changes and such, I just want to know what you guys did throughout your pregnancies. Any response would be great!!!:)

Thanks so much!!:p
    Kris
    If your anything like me you won't be doing much.. lol.. I was sick right up until last week, I am now 16 weeks pregnant and everything is well for now at least. I try reading up on pregnancy as much as I can while I am at home borrred... go on the net or even to the library... You'll find out some interesting things or I know I did anyway... Hope I helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

Should I prepare? [ 1 Answers ]

I need a gifted psychic to help me. My relationship is changing. I am in fear that he is not the same person I thought he was. Is he being honest with me? And if not what is he hiding? My birthday is 6-18-82 his is 5-5-79. If you need more info please message me.

How to prepare for kittens? [ 2 Answers ]

I posted last week about a stray cat who I think has had kittens. After reading a lot about it there seems to be little doubt of that now. She has been coming to the house to eat every day, usually once a day. The last couple of days she has been coming a few times a day and Desperately...

View more questions Search