White/black white/blue white/orange white/green white/brown
    Red/blue blue/red

Help! Just want to connect a single line phone jack which has
    Red green black yellow wires.

Which ones do I use.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Okay, what you are describing is a Cat5e cable. It uses conductors in a twisted pair configuration.

If you are using a 3 pair jack (6 wires), then the blue goes to position 3 and the blue/white goes to position 4. This is the Tip and Ring for a single phone.

If your phone is a 2 pair twisted cable, then Red and Green are Tip and Ring for the phone.

Yellow and Black(under current standards would be Tip and Ring for a second line).

In the days on Noah, the Arc Builder, the Red and Green were Tip and Ring . Yellow was the bell circuit and black was ground.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2013, 06:14 AM
    Sounds like 6 Pair UTP,(cat 3?), blue is first pair and orange is second pair.
    Hook:
    White/Blue to Green, and Blue/white to red for a single line,
    Also hook white/orange to black and orange/white to yellow for line 2.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 09:15 AM
    I agree with Stratmando's suggestion for wiring, although one can never really tell what kind of wiring mess might be present in older homes (in my house for example the orange/white pair is the main line and blue/white pair is the second line - go figure). However, to clarify something - the cabling described by the OP is neither Category 5 nor Category 6 - it's old-fashioned voice grade telecom cable, 5 pairs. The pair order is:

Blue, Blue/white = pair 1
    Orange, Orange/white = pair 2
    Green, green/white = pair 3
    Brown, Brown/white = pair 4 ( the OP wrote that one lead coming out of the wall is black, but I suspect it's really brown)
    Blue/red, Red/blue = pair 5.

While twisted-pair Ethernet cable color codes are based on the old Bell System codes, they are limited to 4 pairs, not 5.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2013, 06:19 AM
    For years Electricians new to category rated wiring, would use the green/white for green, and orange/white for red, because they were close to the actual colors.
    I would go outside, or open other phone jacks and see which is connected to the red and green.
    A voltage meter will tell which pair is the phone line, should have about 48 volts DC, and the Green is Positive, and the red is negative with respect to green.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone Jack Wiring Help [ 11 Answers ]

Ok... Well my phone jack upstairs has 2 of the 4 wires unconnected inside (I don't really know how to describe it but ask me if you need me to try harder) but thiers 4 wires inside when I open in and 2 of them seem to have snapped or came loose. Anyway I was wondering if someone could tell me how I...

Phone jack wiring colors [ 1 Answers ]

We have a phone system for 2 lines. We just had a room painted and the phones no longer work on line one. Can you help?

Phone jack wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How is the jack to be wired to the wires coming from the wall?

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

View more questions Search