Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2dimes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
    180 degree misalignment Wall Receptical
    Which way do I install a grounded three hole wall receptical? Two slots on top and ground hole on bottom (little face) or Ground hole on top and two slots below (christmas tree)?
    Does it matter? I've noticed most recepticals have writing or numbers which are read right side up when the (little Face) method is used. Is there a standard?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
    It doesn't make any difference but plugs with sharp right angle turns usually have the round prong down. My current home all of the outlets were installed horizontally, don't know why, don't care either.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    There is an urban legend that code requires them to be turned up. I occasionally an in the building of a large electrical contractor-they wire up big factories. All their outlets are ground up.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
    There is no standard or typical any longer, mount them as you see fit. The reason they use to be mounted "upside down" with the ground hole at the top is the code use to several years ago require that in all medical facilities the ground be at the top, in the event the plug fell out a bit, and if a medical tool such as a needle or a scalpel fell onto the outlet, the tool would hit the ground first. Other wise if mounted with the ground down, the tool would short out the hot and neutral, and anesthesia was very flammable and sparks in an operating room were not wanted.

As most hospitals were wired by large union contractors, many practices performed by large contractors were adopted as a standard in the trade.

This was only required in medical facilities, but did get carried over to homes and businesses.

Evidently this is no longer a problem, so the code stopped requiring the ground to be mounted up several years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is 180-200 pounds fat? [ 27 Answers ]

I'm a female and 21. About 5.6 tall. I'm around 180-210 pounds. I haven't gotten weight in a while. But is around that much heavy for me? Like, unhealthy? My fiancé tells me that I'm fine and I tell myself I'm fat. I hate the way I look and I've tried to lose weight in school~lost a lot but only...

Tax returns for L1 and L2 for less than 180 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Texas, I came in US on October 1st 2006 with my wife and want to file for the tax returns. As I understand I will get the whole amount I paid as tax since I stayed here only for 3 months in 2006. I have the SSN but my wife doesn't have neither SSN nor ITIN. 1) Can I e-file my...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

180 degree copper elbow? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone makes a 180 degree copper elbow. I want to run a length of 1/2 inch copper pipe back next to itself (if that makes since.) Using two 90 degree elbows keeps the two pipes too far apart. I want them to run next to each other. I thought of using soft copper pipe but didn't...

View more questions Search