Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Tn law on unwed surname
    I have a grandson, parents were unwed. Everything has had to go through court for the father. Establish paternity, temporary visitation, child support, insurance, & lastly perm. Parenting plan. Father was never given the opportunity to sign the birth certificate and the mother says she will not change the child's surname from her maiden name although the father is very involved. In TN, it is the law that the mother can do this & if a judge overturns it in court---she has the right to make an appeal. TN laws on children are to be "the best interest of child". Therefore it seems that TN needs to change this law for the ftahers out there who are involved, supporting their children, visiting, etc. versus the dead beat dads. This is ridiculous!! Does anyone know of any other way around this issue than the mother's choice in TN? The child will be 1 year old in a couple of weeks.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2013, 04:42 PM
    You are saying that, in the final analysis, it's up to the courts. What "other way" do you imagine there might possibly be? Ask the legislature to enact a law changing your grandson's name? Theoretically possible I suppose, but it won't happen.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Let's see - the child lives with the mother, has the mother's surname.

How does it benefit the child to have the last name of the father?

This is not a case where you support a child and, therefore, "buy" naming rights.

Did the birth father realize the birth mother could be difficult when he was having sex with her?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
    Here in Tenn, where I live, the mother had the option of giving the child the father's surname. All he had to do was sign an Affidavit of Paternity and provide identification to the personnel at the hospital that does the birth certificate paperwork. Apparently the mother of your grandchild opted out of this.

I don't see that this child not having your son's last name is a problem. I suppose I'm missing something.
    ich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Let's see - the child lives with the mother, has the mother's surname.

How does it benefit the child to have the last name of the father?

This is not a case where you support a child and, therefore, "buy" naming rights.

Did the birth father realize the birth mother could be difficult when he was having sex with her?
    I guess as much thought as she gave it during their consensual, multiple, sexual interludes!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
    You misunderstood my question - he doesn't appear to be the one who is being difficult. She is. I asked if he gave any thought to her future behavior when he was having sex with her, not what she was thinking.

She apparently isn't the one with the problem with the name.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
    I don't see that this child not having your son's last name is a problem. I suppose I'm missing something.
    In some ethnic and cultural groups if a child does not bear his father's surname/ last name, the child is not considered as a member of his/her father's extended family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower invitation for unwed mother, I don't approve of unwed parenting [ 4 Answers ]

I was invited to a baby shower for my husband's cousin's 20 year old unwed daughter. I only know of her, not sure when I last saw her. I don't approve of having a baby out of wedlock especially when the mother is young and uneducated. I think this is just a way of getting lots of presents. How...

Seeking advice re baby's surname. (UK Law) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question re the surname of my baby-to-be, here in the UK. My ex girlfriend dumped me last October, suddenly. 12 days later she informed me she was pregnant and keeping it. (She told me she knew about the pregnancy before she dumped me.) I asked if we could work out our...

View more questions Search