Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chris3199 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
    My wife had an affair
    Last year, from September to early December my wife had an affair, apparently she'd know n this person since her teens, last year was horrible, firstly she had skin cancer in February and then in September her mother died, now our marriage wasn't great at this time, she's been married before and I haven't. We've been married for three years, I'm now 41, I know I should have handled the situation better in regards to her mother dying but I just didn't know what to do, I'd never been in a situation were someone one I loved needed that kind of support.
    She told me in December that she'd been f@cking someone else, I was gutted, I've never felt so terrible in my life. Although I had my suspicions I just didn't want to believe it, when my wife told, I said two things, firstly I told her I knew but didn't want to believe it, secondly I told I just want my wife back, 3 months later we are still together, I love her dearly despite catching her twice since then communicating with this guy through FB, to my knowledge, and I do believe her this has finally stopped, due in part to actions that at the time I felt I had no other choice but to act the way I did, I rang him and threatened him, I sent him messages telling him I knew where he lived, his wife's phone number, email address etc etc, all of which I've never used except I rang his house and he answered and I explained in no uncertain terms to leave my wife alone, she has made a decision and he has to respect that.
    I still struggle with what happened and deal with on a day to day basis, it would have been a lot easier if he had not contacted my wife twice since she ended the affair, which she assures me the he contacted her, not the other way around. I see him as a vulture who prayed on my wife after her mother died, lets say she had a weak moment, she has explained to me that she had never stopped loving me through out all this and that she never loved this other person, I don't want a divorce but I'm having a tough time trying to forget, I've forgiven, but forgetting is a lot tougher, will I ever get over this, I do trust my wife as she's said it will never happen again and I know how ashamed she is about what happened, please help me if you can
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2013, 06:02 AM
    First off be honest with yourself in that even though you have forgiven you most likely will never forget.

Even though your wife may have been vulnerable, she is responsible for her own actions. I am not sure threatening the guy is the healthiest way to deal with this situation.

I commend your ability to forgive, to love her despite her mistakes, etc. But you both probably need to see a counselor to get through this and heal to the extent you can heal.
    Chris3199 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    First off be honest with yourself in that even though you have forgiven you most likely will never forget.

Even though your wife may have been vulnerable, she is responsible for her own actions. I am not sure threatening the guy is the healthiest way to deal with this situation.

I commend your ability to forgive, to love her despite her mistakes, and etc. But you both probably need to see a counselor to get through this and heal to the extent you can heal.
    Oliver, firstly thanks for your response, at the time I felt I had no other option than to use what ever threats I could use, my wife has told they spoke about the affair ending and when and if it did, that was it, finished, now my wife, to the best of my knowledge has stuck by these rules they spoke about, where as he has not, that's why I felt I had no other option than to threaten him physically and threaten his home life, it seems to have worked, this guy is older than I am, as I said I'm 41, also I'm 6'5 and weigh around 100kgs, my sister in law has spoken to me about what my wife has told her, and my wife has no doubt that I'd tear this guy to pieces, my wife has told me a couple of white lies since this all happened but I believe with no doubt this was to protect me and not him, as I said I tear this guy apart, I don't consider myself a violent person, but I'd warned this guy to stay away and he didn't so I felt I was left with no other option, in the wild what does a lion do to protect his pride from intruders, he attacks, at the end of the day I believe most men have this basic instinct in them, I did what I had to do, now I've just got to stop thinking about the affair itself
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 19, 2013, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3199 View Post
    Oliver, firstly thanks for your response, at the time I felt I had no other option than to use what ever threats I could use, my wife has told they spoke about the affair ending and when and if it did, that was it, finished, now my wife, to the best of my knowledge has stuck by these rules they spoke about, where as he has not, that's why I felt I had no other option than to threaten him physically and threaten his home life, it seems to have worked, this guy is older than I am, as I said I'm 41, also I'm 6'5 and weigh around 100kgs, my sister in law has spoken to me about what my wife has told her, and my wife has no doubt that I'd tear this guy to pieces, my wife has told me a couple of white lies since this all happened but I believe with no doubt this was to protect me and not him, as I said I tear this guy apart, I don't consider myself a violent person, but I'd warned this guy to stay away and he didn't so I felt I was left with no other option, in the wild what does a lion do to protect his pride from intruders, he attacks, at the end of the day I believe most men have this basic instinct in them, I did what I had to do, now I've just got to stop thinking about the affair itself
    Time for some counseling. You'll never forget, but little by little, you won't think of it so much. Hopefully, with effort on both of your parts, you will trust her again.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 19, 2013, 08:43 PM
    I'm going to be short and sweet. This was on FB right? Your wife had the option of deleting him and/or closing her FB but she did neither. Right?

Hmmmmm? Think about it. She is equally to blame with the continued contact.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2013, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3199 View Post
    I am not judging you or saying you handled it incorrectly. It just probably wasn't the healthiest move. But I've never been in that situation. Again, I would have been hard pressed to forgive so good for you on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife had affair now what? [ 4 Answers ]

This is a very sad and long story. My wife and I have been together since 1992. We were married in 1994. Very shortly after our marriage in '94, I found out that she'd cheated on me while we were engaged with someone whom she had a strong connection to prior to my coming into the picture. When I...

My wife had an affair what should I do [ 9 Answers ]

Dear readers I am seriously suffering the bad phase of my life... I got married to my wife in a situation wher she stood against everybody to get me.., and after 2 yrs of my marriage.. I found out a strange behaviour of hers and I started spying her.. I got to know she is meeting a guy and kisses...

Wife had an affair [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Friends, Just yesterday I found out that my wife had an affair with a colleague of hers. In her email I found sexually charged messages depicting their activities. It's the absolute worst feeling to ever have, to have in a split sec the perception of all that you thought your world was...

Wife having an affair [ 15 Answers ]

I've noticed for a couple of months now that my wife has been pretty distant. She's not very close to me and our sex life isn't what it was and she blames it on gaining some weight and a stressful job. It seems as if we're just living to work. We're both very involved in our careers and make...

Wife's Affair? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have married for 23 years. She is 46, slim and attractive. She's always possessed high moral standards and is a regular churchgoer. Several months ago several things occurred that kind of through me off and affected my trust in her. They are the result of her always having close...

View more questions Search