Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cab5009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
    Inheritance rights for non-biological children
    Our stepfather never formally adopted us but our mother had custody of us and we grew up with him. One of his relatives in france has died intestate and we are now possible heirs of this relative. However, we need to establish a legal relationship to our stepfather (deceased) and would like to know how to do this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
    What state or country are you in?

To my knowledge, you cannot be adopted posthumously (after the death of a would-be adoptive father) anywhere.

And if French laws are like the laws of most places, unless you are the legal child of the decedent, or if he provided for you in his will, you are out of luck.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 08:15 AM
    we are now possible heirs of this relative
    No, you are not. I agree with AK Lawyer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 08:43 AM
    Were you named in your stepfather's will? Is your mom still alive, if not were you named in her will?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Who told you that you 'need to establish a legal relationship?'

Although I agree with the others, I do know someone who is the illegitimate child of a famous and wealthy person (Italian) and who never even lived with him, yet with the help of a lawyer and agreeable relatives was given a sizable amount of his estate after he died. That's more direct, of course, and she was also the only child he fathered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In england do non biological parents have access rights to children [ 2 Answers ]

If a same sex couple separate does the non biological parent have any access rights to the children in England?

California inheritance law are children of incest entitled to inheritance ? [ 8 Answers ]

A man impregnates his daughter then unsuccessfully tries to kill his wife before committing suicide. The daughter has a child,and the wifecontinues the relationship which set off the event,and lives in the original house with the new husband.Other property owned by the deceased is presumably placed...

Biological children's rights to deceased Dad's share of property [ 6 Answers ]

Hi; My children are both adults whose father is recently deceased. He remarried several years ago. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor (which he had removed via surgery). The stepmother advised that he had a will which left everything to her. She received a sizeable amount upon his death from a...

Texas Inheritance Rights of Adult Children [ 1 Answers ]

My father in law passed away suddenly but left a very orderly will & estate (TEXAS). He left everything to his wife of 59 years. Their two sons are married & daughter is a widow with one adult child. What our question is... Can the eldest son contest the will? Does he legally have the right...

View more questions Search