Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIlentAmarok Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
    I want to move out on my own
    Hi I'm wanting to move out on my own.I'm 22 years old and I have a steady job working 40 hours a week and making roughly between 18-20+ an hour.

What I'm wanting to do is move out on my own into a preferred 2 bedroom place. I don't even have the slightest idea where to start. I have already look online but can't find anything in what I believe is my price range (400-600). I'm not sure if that is to tight of a price range cause I am kind of new to looking for a place.

What would I be looking into moving into, an apartment, or a house. Which would be cheaper?

Should I go to a real estate agent to find a place? Where do I look to find rent able places, the news paper, the internet?
    Please someone let me know something.
    Thank you :D
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Apartment... houses cost a lot more because they are a lot bigger. Also utilities are higher for a house.

Also where you live makes a huge difference on prevailing rent... where I live $600 won't rent you a bedroom in someone's house. Two bedroom apartments in my area that you can sleep with both eyes closed go for over $1,700 a month, Houses go for $2,500 and up and nothing goes for $600.

Most realestate agents won't find renters... because they expect to get paid for their time. You have word of mouth... signs on windows... Newspaper ads... helps a LOT to ask people familiar with the areas because a lot of apartments are higher crime areas. Before you sign... look at it at night... when most people are home.. and not just during the day when most people are at work... meaning what looks nice during the day... can scare the hell out of you at night.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Like smoothy said, location is your biggest factor to keep in mind. Check too for availability of grocery stores, drug stores, banks, general shopping. Then hit the newspaper classifieds to see what that area charges for rent. An apartment is the best way to begin living on your own.

Is there a roommate possibility to help defray costs?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
    If you can't find anything in your price range... its time to make adjustments on your expectations... The cheapest apartments in your area are going to be the ones in the worst shape.. and in the highers crime areas.

There is a reason for that... pricing is driven by desirability... E.G. the nicer the more people will pay and the more they WILL charge... if you don't mind homeless people peeing on your door, or the occasional dead body in the hallway... and don't mind cockroaches, rats and bedbugs you can find the cheaper places there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was asked verbally to move so a relative could move in. Relocation fees? [ 3 Answers ]

The next month after my landlady was upset and was rude to me because I did not pay the rent 3 days early, I dropped off my rent and was told to move in 30 days so a relative could move in. Since I had paid last month's rent (is that legal or should it be security?) he told me I could have 60 days....

My 1993 Mazda MVP will not move even in neutral shifter on column will move [ 0 Answers ]

The shifter on column will move but the car/van will not go into gear. Put car in neutral will not roll. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Can my 2 yr. Old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of...

I can't move my left eye ball completely as I can move right so it looks bad [ 1 Answers ]

Doctor says musscle problem do u sugggest me... becose I'm actor

View more questions Search