Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hithere12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
    How to handle difficult boss
    I work for a very small satellite office of a larger company. The work is great, the other employees are great. The boss is horrible. I have only worked there for 9 months and when I got the job the Director of Nursing (Im an RN) asked me how I am handling the boss (we will call Cybil). At that time I did not know what she meant and the director stated that Cybil can be very difficult to work under. I then spoke with the person whose place I took (she went to a different department) and stated that Cybil is awful to work for.

Since I have been there three therapists quit on the same day because 2 could not stand working for Cybil and one because of work related stress. In fact the one who left because of work related stress had to be 911'd out of the office for what was assumed to be heart issues and turned out to be work related stress. One of the therapists who quit is a manager of another program and she is currently in discussion with HR as well with how awful Cybil is.

I took three days off because I had so much stress I wound up in the ER on Friday. Before going in on Friday I told the HR rep how stressful it was and that I was sick from it. She told me that when I go back on Wednesday that we are going to meet. I am TERRIFIED that my boss is going to find out and make life miserable for me. I am at home actively trying to find another job.

My question is -- what is the best way to handle myself during this meeting on Wednesday so that I present a professional face and yet communicate the difficulties I am facing?
    Thanks for any input
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
    What difficulties is Cybil creating?
    hithere12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for responding. Cybli treats people differently - her favorites she allows to get away with anything those that she does not like she will bring them into her office for up to 40 minutes for the slightest slightest thing and interrogate them for up to 40 minutes asking them the same question over and over again. This is a woman who can have a 40 minute interrogation session about toilet paper. I am not exaggerating.

What is black one day is white the other. She is very inconsistent in her approach. If something is the correct way to do something on one day it is incorrect on the next. Whenever she interrogates you for a problem that she has with something that she did, she NEVER meets you on her own. Instead she brings in up to 4 people to listen to her question you as she emotionally places people into a corner as she asks the same questions for up to 40 minutes until you become upset. She expects you to work overtime, to not get paid. She says that she will give you comp time but that never comes to fruition.

Thanks for responding
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
    I can't help you with what to say... though I think what you wrote here isn't too bad. What I can suggest is that you don't present yourself as if you are complaining about her or telling on her. Make sure you word things in such a way as to seem like these are legitimate complaints that are affecting the productivity of the department and the business overall. Not like it is just you and a few others who are upset. Don't seem like you are placing blame or pointing fingers.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 11:04 AM
    I'll bet she likes to see grown employees cry, too (I had a boss like that for six years.)

Are you the only person meeting with the HR rep? She should meet with more underlings than you at this meeting. Otherwise, it's a he said-she said thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with...

How to handle my boss [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a bit confused, its been 2 years I have been working for this organization, I have been in this industry for couple of years, I don’t have an issue working for this organization it is a strong institute, but my boss who I am reporting to makes me dishearten to stick with this...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

How to handle my boss? [ 2 Answers ]

Its been a year since I took up this new job. My boss has not assigned me any responsibilities though there are hell a lot of activities going on. I am the only subordinate under him. I have spoken to him many times reg this and also I have told him that I don't like to get paid for sitting idle....

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search