Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmilitello Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Phone jacks not working.
    I have phone jack problems. Been on line to trouble shoot. Main phone box in house I tested phone got a dial tone. But no other jacks seem to work. We had service but it seems to have stopped? How to I follow the trouble from the main box to the jacks ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:18 AM
    You are going to have to check each every mechanical connection in every jack... plus the terminal block most houses have somewhere near where the line comes into the house.

They tend to conect one to the next so one open connection will take everything further down the line out.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
    'we had service'
    By that do you mean your provider is waiting for you to pay a delinquent bill? You may have a signal at the box because of 911 only.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2013, 06:40 AM
    Many Telcos have a test jack outside the house, try a phone there.
    Call your house with a cell/another phone and see if it rings and rings, or rings busy.
    If it rings and rings, the line is open, if it rings busy, it is shorted or a phone is off hook, out of site.
    Try a different phone and line cord, look inside where you plug line into and see if it is gold, or black/green(corroded)
    If you have a volt meter you could look for 48 volts on the line, red is negative, green is positive. If the phone rings while testing you may get a small AC shock. Not known to kill or hurt, but may make you jump or pull back quickly. Be careful. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed two phone jacks today, another one stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

I changed two old phone jacks today and they both work. I have three other phone jacks in my house and one of the three stopped working as soon as I changed the two. My kitchen phone jack was changed a year ago, and this is the one that I opened up and looked at before I changed two upstairs...

Two phone jacks not working in my home [ 3 Answers ]

My home has six phone jacks. (1)Two of these jacks are not working. When you hook up a landline to them you get no dial tone or any other sound for that matter. One of these jacks used to have a landline on it and it did work. (2) I have taken all of the cordless phones out of the house...

TWO electrical phone jacks - one under the other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: POINT # 1. I am on dial up. TWO: I have correctly rewired the wall jack as instructed on here, and still have a dial tone go my phone. However there is a jack on the baseboard, direbtly underneith the one rewired on the wall BUT it has multiple colored wires, and I still do not have...

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

View more questions Search