Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Trouble with capital gain using Tax form 1040
    Using Federal tax form 1040 I entered a capital gain (from sale of stocks) on line 13 and added it into my total income for line 22. My total income is circa 30,500 including this gain. I've heard that capital gains are not taxable for certain income brackets. If capital gains are not taxable, where on the tax form 1040 is this reflected ? It would greatly lower my taxable income but I don't know where/how to show this. What am I missing?

Form 1040 is here --> http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2013, 09:02 PM
    You need to compute your tax using the Schedule D worksheet.

If you are using tax software, the software will do it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Capital tax gain tax gift home [ 4 Answers ]

Mom wants to gift me,daughter,her home as I am disabeled on SS for 8 yrs with $1000 a month income. MOm has not lived in empty home for 1 yr and 8 months due to being in a nursing home. I haven't lived in her home in 10 yrs and want to stay in my apartment and will not live in the home ever. ...

Capital Gain Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have purchased a defaulted home as an investment property. I have renovated the home & now I am planning to sell it. I never used that home for my residence purpose. I know that property held for more than one year will be taxed as long term property. I want to know, how the holding...

Tax on Long term capital gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please update me on the latest tax rates when it comes to Short term & Long term capital gains from equity investments. Any information will be highly appreciated Thanks Gaurav

Capital Gain Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question about Capital gain tax I inherited a comercial property from my father in 1998. At the time of probate the property was valued at $150,000.00 I Have just accepted an offer to sell for $110,000.00 Do I owe Capital Gain Taxes?

View more questions Search