Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kendo1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Can I use1300ma charger instead of a 500ma charger
    Hi, I have a Jump starter for my car which get charged when required with it AC adaptor output on charger is 12v dc 500ma 8watt, problem is this charger is faulty (no output) was going to buy a replacement charger with interchangeable jack ends it has an output of 12v dc and up to 1300ma, is this OK to use as replacement charger for my jumpstarter ?will it charge the unit at the 500ma rate or at 1300ma rate how is this worked out.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Well your battery has a lot more than 1300ma (1.3 amp). So, this will charge it faster. The 500 ma (1/2 amp) is more of a trickle charger for maintenance. I would use it.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 16, 2013, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Well your battery has a lot more than 1300ma (1.3 amp). So, this will charge it faster. The 500 ma (1/2 amp) is more of a trickle charger for maintenance. I would use it.
    There's a reason why the charger takes an input of 500ma. It was designed that way. Putting in 2.5 times what is required can overheat and damage the batteries in the jumper pack (or start a fire). Too much heat to the batteries can limit the potential maximum charge and render the unit useless. Not a wise idea.
    kendo1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 02:11 AM
    That's great thanks for your advice, I had just thought as the new charger said up to 1300ma that I could have used it on more stonger applications as well and that the jump starter would only take the 500ma it required , from what your saying all of the 1300ma would go to charging it is that correct ? I have a 300ma charger would this be OK until I get the correct one? I appreciate it would take longer but would anything happen with charger and jumpstarter?

Thanks for you help
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Giving too much power to a rechargeable battery is like putting too much air in a tire. 300ma will not burn-up the unit, and probably won't fully charge it either. Click helpful if this helped.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2013, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kendo1 View Post
    Thats great thanks for your advice, i had just thought as the new charger said up to 1300ma that i could of used it on more stonger applications as well and that the jump starter would only take the 500ma it required , from what your saying all of the 1300ma would go to charging it is that correct ? I have a 300ma charger would this be ok untill i get the correct one? I appreciate it would take longer but would anything happen with charger and jumpstarter? .

Thanks for you help
    If it says "up to 1300 ma " then it should work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet charger [ 0 Answers ]

I have a acer charger that got wet, I thought I dryed it off good. When I plugged in my tab I heard a click like a breaker trippingn. Now it won't charge my tab.

Laptop charger [ 7 Answers ]

Hi.anyone,help! My laptop charger is 18.5V output but it's cut.Im working on something urgent so for the mean time can I use a lesser Voltage of 8.5V to charge it? Please advise me

Charger causing problems [ 11 Answers ]

I have had an interesting situation with my camera charger. The charger was plugged into an outlet in the bedroom and when I turned on the ceiling fan today, it was turning much slower than usual. I brought a desk fan into the room and it was turning slower too and on top of that, there was some...

1967 charger [ 6 Answers ]

Please people I just bought a 1967 charger and know NOTHING :confused: ABOUT IT. Please, if you know anything, ANYTHING about this car, please tell me

View more questions Search