Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Richard CL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Is this safe?
    I have a 22-year-old central air unit in my home. I'm running the fan 24/7 because my dog has COPD. (Use top of the line 3M filters.) Would there be any danger of fire from running the fan continuously in this older unit? Is there any basic maintenance that should be done to insure the fan's safe operation?

I'm away during the day for work. Don't want to take any chances.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
    The units are basically designed to run all the time so as long as it intake and supply ducts/registers are open you should be fine letting it run all the time.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2013, 05:14 PM
    The 3M filters are highly restrictive which could cause a problem with the fan motor. I would strongly suggest the installation of either an electronic or a 4" media filter. That being said, duct sizing & filter maintenance play a huge role in fan motor longevity as well.
    nvdragon1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2013, 10:15 PM
    Yes there is reg maint. Check for oil ports on either end of the moter and clean and vacume it out. The TOP OF THE line filters ONLY catch the dust that happens to get to the filter not a lot in the grand sceem.and when your running heat they do clog and slow the air flow quite a bit and will cause the unit to overheat . As for A/C it will cause ice to form on the coil... to make the answer shorter a reg pleated filter will do the same job for your dog ( as most dust getting to him is near the floor and you air filter is high. Ive been a hvac tech for 24 years the cost difference is not worth the damage to your system. And to boot running a high effy. Filter as it clogs air flow reduces, air flow reduces it harder the exchange air.. all equels higher gas and elect bills... good luck to you and your pup
    Richard CL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. Very helpful. I'll probably have a professional take a look at it just in case. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that the best air filters may do more harm than good. I'll run these a few weeks to recover some of the expense, then switch to something more middle of the road.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Good idea. I know what it's like having a dog that is not well. Best of luck with the pup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Doctor! My Wife is pregnant and this is her 38th week, She were asked to go for an USG by her doctor and she did that accordingly. The result shows an OK report. Is it safe to have a baby so early as its yet thirteen days away, as the doctor has given my wife the date for having a baby on...

Liposuction,safe or not safe in my country? [ 1 Answers ]

hello everyone, my name is queen, I'm 25yrs old,and I'm a nigerian. I'm considering a lipo and I'm a little apprehensive about it. Its going to be for my arms and tommy. There's a popular beautician in my country(modupe ozolua),she flies in surgeons from America to perform various surgeries. I...

T safe Coil and thrush? T safe problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had c t safe coil fitted back in may. I have had thrush since, anyone evr had thise from the tsafe?? Please let me know of any other problems you have had with this device?? :confused:

Is it safe? [ 3 Answers ]

My washing machine overflowed all over my house. There is water damage in 5 rooms. Is it safe to stay here while the repairmen dry it out?

Is it safe [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking levothyroid because I have hyphothyroid, is it safe if I will take glutathione?

View more questions Search