Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GranMary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 05:32 AM
    Ask a cooking question
    I hear a lot of 2 word descriptions of dish ingredients in cooking programmes but are they all essential. Are there such things as - fresh water bass, ingredients fried in other than a pan, (even a deep fat fryer)

Is it necessary to cook whilst wearing a sweater, scarf or even a jacket. Are studio kitchens that cold, with extra effective extractor systems? )
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 16, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Please clarify your question.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2013, 06:02 AM
    I too have no idea what you are asking.
    'I hear a lot of 2 word descriptions of dish ingredients in cooking programmes but are they all essential.' - please give 3 examples
    'Are there such things as - fresh water bass' - yes, that is a fish, quite different from a sea bass
    '... ingredients fried in other than a pan, (even a deep fat fryer)' - yes, just about anything can be fried in just about any pot or pan
    'Is it necessary to cook whilst wearing a sweater, scarf or even a jacket.' No
    'Are studio kitchens that cold, with extra effective extractor systems?' You will have to ask the studio. I have heard of some being kept cold so that the studio lights on the chefs don't cause them to sweat, which the cameras do pick up, and viewers don't like to see it.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
    Guess this is Asian recipe.. yes, there are a few that fry fish in one pan and fry/saute other ingredients in another pan and then top it on the fish.

ปลาเนื้ออ่อนฉู่ฉี่ by isriya, on Flickr
    _ben_ Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2013, 03:31 AM
    I think I understand your question if I do then please tell me :P

In cooking shows, they usually cook simple dishes with some extra ingredients to make them seem healthier, bulked up and to look good.

They use a lot of words which aren't needed, words they use excessively are:
    Fresh, Young, Sweet, Hand picked, Hand grown etc etc..

now I'm not saying these don't mean anything, but in cooking shows, they usually mean nothing at all. For example "hand picked potatoes" are just potatoes, they taste the same, look the same.
    Fresh greens could mean fresh from frozen or fresh from a market stall.
    on the other hand, fresh herbs opposed to dry herbs = that makes a difference on flavour and corn fed chicken opposed to caged chicken, there is a definite difference in flavour. But a lot of the time on cooking shows its just a load of waffle.
    in conclusion,

Before anyone flames me for seeming blunt with cooking shows, consider that I am a chef, cooking in kitchens all over europe for 5 years. Thanks, x

Oh and as a side note, don't wear scarfs, sweaters or tight trousers in kitchens it really doesn't help or affect the flavour (loose baggy clothes all the way)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking [ 1 Answers ]

Do you need to cook packaged artificial crabmeant

Cooking [ 2 Answers ]

My Grandmother used to make me homemade potato chips Anyone have a recipe or method for making homemade potato chips? Lshadylady

Cooking is . [ 3 Answers ]

Cooking is... A Good Way to Excel Creativity & Relaxation Fun & Enjoyable Interesting When I Have a Lot of Time Depressing as Every time I Want to Cook Something, Something Goes Wrong Absolutely Horrible & A Pain in the Butt to Me Which one or more do you identify...

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

View more questions Search