Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorensandboe Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
    Ok, called in a plumber this morning, and the problem has now been solved, and we have hot water again. The problem was a plug, but not as we expected...

http://i.imgur.com/PFm4VI0.jpg

This image is what remains of the original cold water dip tube, plus another little surprise.

The original dip tube is broken off, obviously trapped inside the tank. That explains why I had such a small amount of hot water - cold was running straight up the hot water line, they being so close together with no dip tube to bring cold water to the bottom of the tank. So that's the first problem solved. The plug, though, was caused by this little white plastic marble that we found by doing another, longer test at the hot water out nipple. It turns out the first heat trap marble that I saw was fine, but this second marble that somehow got into the tank was getting sucked into the hot water out nipple from below. This explains why when I did my first test there, I thought water was flowing through it: I didn't allow water out of the hot water out nipple long enough for this marble to be sucked back into the nipple. Which of course I never could have known.

We suspect that there must have been some kind of pressure trap in the original dip tube, and when the dip tube broke off it let loose this marble into the tank. It floated at the top of my tank from then on, and couldn't have been sucked into the hot water out nipple until I had drained the tank while cleaning it. Then when I refilled the tank, it became stuck there any time there was enough prolonged water pressure to suck it up.

So, I now have hot water again and took the longest hot shower I've ever taken in this house.

Also of note, my plumber informed me that my piping is Poly B, which is big time bad news. He informed me all about it and left me an information package on it. Luckily we don't plan to keep the house for forever.

Thanks everyone for your efforts again, I really appreciate all of the help you all provided me with. This was definitely the best plumbing help site I found on the internet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
    And we thank you for the update. Glad you're back in business, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Oh well, guess I just wasn't cut out to be a plumber.

We got snow today Mark, but not enough send you a snowball. How about a pizza instead.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
    That's cause you were cut out to be MUCH more than a plumber, Harold! This is just a fun hobby for you nowadays! Nice job on this one... really stuck by Loren!

Turns out more snow is headed my way overnight! UGH! I've had about enough his year!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
    Plenty of snow here, AGAIN!! So you guys get down here and take as much as you want (hopefully all of it). I just figured I would post one last time (or first time on this particular series of posts') to make this possibly the longest running water heater issue to date. Good job guys, and glad you got it taken care of, loren.
    lorensandboe Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 09:47 PM
    Yeah heck, the dedication you guys showed to the problem was admirable! Anyone could have shrugged a long time ago and said "welp, can't help you." You should be commended for that alone :) Besides, this seems to be a one-in-a-million issue, and to have to try to solve it over the internet with nothing to inform you but an under-educated user, you can't really be blamed. Hehe. Thanks again everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Why does my new water heater trickle out hot water but good pressure on cold water? [ 5 Answers ]

I just had my water heater replaced and was given an energy star eco-friendly unit. But since the replacement, whenever I try to take a hot shower or fill my bathtub, the hot water trickles out almost like the faucet isn't open all the way but it is. The cold water comes out fantastic.

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

How to test gas hot water heater pressure release valve? [ 7 Answers ]

The pressure release valve on the State Select Gas Hot water heater (40 or 50 gallon) is allowing water from the hot water tank to drip through the copper overflow pipe drain on the side of the house. There is no leak or drip around the valve or tank itself. The safety notice on the hot water...

View more questions Search