Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suseela Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 07:01 AM
    What is virtual private network? How it is used ? Where it is used?
    What is virtual private network ? Whether it is a tool or what? How it can be created?
    How it is implemented ? What is the use of vpn? What are the applications of vpn?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
    A VPN, is a software and (sometimes) hardware combination that allows you to securely connect one PC or network to another PC or network using the Internet.
    Suseela Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    A VPN, is a software and (sometimes) hardware combination that allows you to securely connect one PC or network to another PC or network using the Internet.

Definition is cleared to me :) and I want to know the applications of VPN.. i.e REMOTE-ACCESS & SITE-TO-SITE VPN. Please let me clear with the answers..
    AdinaWuffet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Virtual private network is a secure network which secures your online activities and safeguard your important data from online hackers and snipers. It secures the data by changing it into encrypted format so that it can't read by the online hackers. Being a privacy concerned user I use it to secure my online identity on my iPad.

I am using the Hotspot Shield free version and soon I will upgrade to its Elite version.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 14, 2013, 08:37 PM
    I'm guessing this is some sort of homework? Either way, I will answer with how I use both Remote Access VPN and S2S VPN.

Remote Access:
    I use this when I am at home. It allows me to connect to my companies network via the internet in a secured manner. Once connected, it's as if I am right there at my desk.

Site-to-site:
    My company uses a lot of Joint Ventures (third party vendors). They are not at home when they VPN into our network. This is used when you're already on an established corporate network and wish to connect to another corporate network. Ie: Our Joint Ventures (company B) will occasionally need to VPN into our network (Company A) to utilize our data/resources.

Hope this helps in a real-world scenario.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virtual Private Networking [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to know how to set up virtual private network access on my home LAN securely and, as the name emplies, I'd like all traffic encrypted between client and server. One use would be to allow access to my home LAN and it's resources while on another LAN. Another application would...

Virtual Private Network to access Geo-locked websites [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access and or watch geo locked websites is legal (i.e Netflix, Hulu, etc)? I know that VPN usage in general is legal but I want to know what is legal and what is not specifically, aside from obvious illegal activity on the internet such as...

How do I network virtual machines in a client/server configuration? [ 2 Answers ]

Currently, on my host machine I am running Windows 7. I have VirtualBox installed, and I'm trying to network Windows 2003 and Windows XP as virtual machines. Is this possible? I've set up the Domain Controller which is (10.0.0.2), but when I try to connect Windows XP (10.0.0.3) it is unable to find...

Virtual private network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, Does anyone know a free virtual private network download other than Hotspot Shield? Thanks

Wireless Network Adapter not showing up in Virtual Server! [ 5 Answers ]

Here's the breakdown: I have Virtual PC 2007 I have Windows Server 2003 installed When I go into Network adapters (on the virtual PC) my Wirless Card is not being shown. I have enabled Virtual Services on the adapter via Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network Connections/My...

View more questions Search