Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LizzardQueen217 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Loaded Wrong Boot Disk
    Hi. I just reformatted my hard drive and downloaded the boot disk ffrom the Microsoft website, except I downloaded Windows XP Home edition and I needed the Pro edition. I have the boot disk for the pro edition, but do I have to reformat again before I load the new boot disk or can I just restart the computer with the new (and correct) boot disk in the floppy drive. My Windows XP Pro will not boot from CD-ROM.

Thanks.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2005, 09:58 AM
    Hi
    I would start all over using the correct boot disk, reformat, just to be safe, WinXp is a funny and strange working OS, you never know , what , when or where it will reject, actup or screw up your system, so all we can do is to do things the proper way,we know in the order we know them, so just do it, using the proper boot disk, to avoid any problems.
    :cool:
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jan 28, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Howdy:

If you start over with the proper bootdisks, you will get to the request to insert your XP Pro cd.. Once that happens, use the XP cd to partition and format properly to allow the install..

Murray
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Booting from CD is a function of the BIOS, not the OS. If your BIOS doesn't support booting from CD, then I would be reluctant to upgrade to XP on that machine. Have you run the Upgrade Analyzer? Have you gone into the CMOS setup to see if you can change the boot sequence to boot from CD?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Disk Boot Failure [ 7 Answers ]

I'm running Win 98 on my spare PC and never get a problem until tonight, when I switched on, a message appeared as follows: "Boot fron Atapi CD-ROM Failure. Insert System Disk and press Enter" I switched the PC off then on again and eveything is fine. I'm concerned that it may happen again, what...

Boot disk [ 3 Answers ]

I received a new computer with XP operating system. While I was loading programs the system crashed and lost the windows/system32 file and would not boot up. I looked for the recovery disk in the box, none found, so I had to do a complete install. Can I create a bootable recovery disk for this...

How much space does windows 2000 take up when loaded? [ 4 Answers ]

When windows 2000 is preinstalled on a used computer, how much space does it take up? The reason I am asking is that our computer was given to us by my company with around 4 GB of hard drive space. It was preloaded with windows 2000. However, we don't have much on it since we got the computer,...

View more questions Search