Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    136Serenity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Compressor icing up
    My compressor sometimes ices up when the heat runs. Sometimes just on top of the unit, sometimes the coils and on top. We have had the furnace checked and our repairman says everything is working as it should however I have never had a compressor that did this before. Any suggestions?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Defrost cycle is as follows.
    The defrost control detects the buildup of ice on the outdoor coil. The reversing valve solenoid de-energizes, directing hot gas from the compressor to the outdoor coil to defrost. The outdoor fan stops. If it didn't, cold air from the fan prevents the melting effect of the hot refrigerant. As the temperature of the indoor air drops, controls energize the electric heat elements to warm the indoor air. When the defrost control detects the ice has melted, it terminates the defrost mode. The reversing valve shifts to the heating position and directs hot refrigerant gas to the indoor coil. The outdoor fan operates. The electric elements cycle off.
    So, it sounds like either the defrost control or reversing valve is occasionally sticking.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 05:04 PM
    What you are experiencing is perfectly normal for a heat pump.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 05:32 PM
    I have to agree with Grady on this one. Completely normal for a heat pump during heating season.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
    I agree with mygirlsdad77,, but not sure about Grady White, :) :)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Yep, wmproop, Grady and I did have completely different opinions.. lol.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2013, 03:48 PM
    ;)
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Yep, wmproop, Grady and I did have completely different opinions..lol.
    One of us is dead wrong. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit icing [ 2 Answers ]

AC coil freezing what would cause this and how do I fix

Icing up a compressor [ 1 Answers ]

My portable a/c is not old, yet it blew the breaker the other day. I tried again, and the breaker blew again. This time, the a/c took a long time to get cool, only warm air was blowing out of it, and when it really switched on and got cold, the breaker blew. I had turned down its thermostat as...

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

A/C Icing Over [ 2 Answers ]

Our window unit's grill freezes over at least once/day. I have continually cleaned the filter, and gave the grill the time to thaw and dry. But still it happens. ??

Icing up [ 1 Answers ]

I turned the A/C on for the first time this season and the unit iced up. This is a heat pump and it worked fine during the heating season. Could it just be low on freon? Any other sugestions?

View more questions Search