Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdiazreid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
    If a Home Health Nurse has her spouse drive her to her patient\'s home (home visits)
    If a Home Health Nurse has her spouse drive her to her patient's home (home visits) and remains in the car during the visit... Is this a violation of HIPPA. Is this a violation of title 22 regulation
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 02:11 AM
    Doesn't sound like a violation to me, any more than if spouse drops off a nurse at a hospital or Dr's office to work. It is up to her employer to set up regulations that guarantee protection of patient records and compliance with HIPAA the way I understand it.
    If you are asking about a fellow employee's actions, you should be able to research the company or government agency policy- the policy that they had to develop to comply with HIPAA. For example, they could have a policy that paper records not be taken to home visits but instead provide secure laptop computers to provide access to patient records when it is necessary during visits.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2013, 03:08 AM
    It's certainly not a HIPAA violation. I don't know what title 22 is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2013, 03:12 AM
    This does not reveal anything about the patient's diagnoses and/or treatment, so no, there is no violation.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Confidentiality laws must vary between countries because as a healthcare worker visiting clients in the community, spouses, partners are not to be privy to where clients live, nor allowed to act as chauffeurs and/or wait outside the house. We are not to discuss clients in our own home. That is just the way it is and understood.

This may not be governed by HIPAA, but would certainly mean a reprimand.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
    From: Guidance Regarding Methods for De-identification of Protected Health Information in Accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule

' Protected Health Information

The HIPAA Privacy Rule protects most "individually identifiable health information” held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or medium, whether electronic, on paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information protected health information (PHI)2. Protected health information is information, including demographic information, which relates to:

-the individual's past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition,
    -the provision of health care to the individual
    -the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual, and that identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe can be used to identify the individual. Protected health information includes many common identifiers (e.g. name, address, birth date, Social Security Number) when they can be associated with the health information listed above. '...

Based upon the above, at least in some cases, it may very well be a violation in the U.S. It is difficult to drive to a residence and not have access to the address, but an address itself does not identify the patient without further investigation. The provider is supposed to have established policy to ensure compliance. If a company or agency provides home care, their policy should be based on the actual regulation, and should provide the answer to your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation home visits [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how often a probation officer visits your home. I wasn't home last Monday and he came and left a card. I was dropping urine for the courts. Anyway, I have not told my children that I am on probation, I wondered if he was just making a one time visit or will he come every month. ...

Probation officers and home visits [ 32 Answers ]

A friend of mine is using my address as his release destination next month. What should I expect as far as the initial "inspection" goes? What criteria am I expected to meet? Does it include my personal areas such as my bedroom? (my friend will be sleeping on the sofa). How soon after his release...

After every other weekend visits with his father he comes home with violent behavoir [ 4 Answers ]

My spouse left me when out youngest son was 3 omths old. We also have a 14 year old son together. He left for another woman. When my 4 year old son comes back from his every other weekend visits he is violent. I have documentation from the school progress reports that will back me up on this.He...

Uscis home visits [ 1 Answers ]

A uscis immigration officer visits my home to check if my marriage is bona-fide. He was happy to see us together & he advised that my case would be approved within 4 to 6 weeks. Its been 4 weeks & still haven't heard anything from them. Should I be worried about my case being denied? Has anyone...

Home Health Care/Providing Substance to Patient [ 5 Answers ]

I am aware of an individual who is suppose to provide home health aid service to a patient. This individual provides and administers alcohol to the patient as a tradeoff for providing limited care to the patient. What are the legal reprocussions if this individual who is employed is found to be...

View more questions Search