Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berry4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Loud clapping/hammering sound with heat pump
    We have a Trane 2-year old heat pump. When operating in heat mode in 35-40 degree weather it makes this very loud banging noise as the external unit is shutting down. We've had installer out several times and they say this is normal. It does not happen every cycle, but often enough to disrupt our sleep and that of our neighbors who are getting very irritated. The unit is right outside the Master Bedroom and across from our neighbors bedrooms. The unit produces heat, but the noise is very disruptive and can't be good for the unit. A Techinician today suggesting installing an external thermostat that would force the outside heat pump too shut off before it hits 40 degrees and hopefully stop the heat pump from kicking into high gear. This will initiate the emergency heat to keep the home warm in cool temps... but doesn't this defeat the purpose of installing a heat pump in the first place?? The emergency heating system is designed to kick in IF there is a failure in the heat pump and not mormal operating mode, and obviously much more expensive to run. Any ideas what may be causing this loud banging noise and what is the remedy? Help! Help! We'd all like to get some sleep.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Most installer and myself usually try our best to put the outside units (heatpump or whatever) as far from the bedroom as possible,be it the home owner or the neighbors
    Some units do seem to make the noise you are speaking about doesn`t matter what the brand. It seem to happen when they are switching from heat mode to defrost cycle,or back to heat after defrost, which happen every 30 or 60 minutes, in most cases, the reversing valve in most/or some cases the origin of the noise,, what to do about it, has been a even bigger problem,, lets see if any other techs can come in and help us both out with this problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the sound of one hand clapping? [ 10 Answers ]

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

When heat comes on it is followed by a loud tapping sound. This doesn't stop, [ 2 Answers ]

New house now 2yrs old tapping noise has always been there, plumber tried to convince me it was expansion noise, I understand expansion/creaking/tapping etc.this noise gets louder the longer the heating is on. Same senario for two years.the tapping gets louder and quicker then slows down till it...

Clapping like sound when shower in use [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a 3 year old home and recently started hearing a plastic on plastic clapping like sound when the upstairs bathrooms are being used. I looked at the vents outside and they do not appear to have a cover that would slap back against the vent pipes, but I may be wrong. It's only mildly...

Loud water hammering [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my shower/tub faucets and had to replace the valve. A few weeks after replacing the valve the shower has randomly made a very loud vibrating sound. The shower is used daily and it only happens about once or twice a week. It starts about a minute or two after turning the shower on....

View more questions Search