Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmethink Posts: 82, Reputation: 7

Mar 10, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Dowry should be given or not?
    Do girls parents have to give dowry( it's a custom practised in india, Girls parents present boys with money property gold etc at the time of marriage)

Because of this many poor parents are not able to get their daughters married,because they can't afford it?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2013, 10:58 AM
    It's hard to answer a question about very old customs that are still around, despite the modern world. Of course 'have to' would have to be defined... if a boy wants to marry a girl for love, and her parents can't pay a dowry, and his parents don't approve, then he and she have to decide what to do on their own.
    Or are you asking about the law (in India).. I think it's against the law to demand a dowry... although I do believe that sometimes the man's parents have been known to demand it at the wedding, using shame to see what they can get.
    Plenty of poor girls marry in India, don't they - if the boy is equally poor, his family can't make many demands or he will never find a wife.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dowry in muslim marriage [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, taking dowry is a crime according to Indian law.but still in some communities it is still being continued. Recently in my muslim friends wedding, I saw the my friend's (the bride) parents almost crying tears of blood trying to fulfill the demands of the groom's side.when I asked a couple of...

View more questions Search