Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Wrong birth date
    I got a message from my sister in law last night. She had to get a new copy of her birth certificate and one of the questions that were asked was when my husband (her younger brother) was born. She gave the date and was told no he was born the day before.
    Hubby has lost his copy so we can not check it. He has lived 46 years using the supposed wrong date. I say supposed as we have not talked to the government yet. He will be calling tomorrow to the Nova Scotia government (where he was born). I am just wondering if this is going to be a legal hassle if true. Almost everything you do is tied to your birthdate.. health care, job, loans, bank accounts, credit rating, Social insurance card, income tax..
    If this is true what should we do to get this done correctly? Will we have to have an attorney or can we fix this on our own?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 10:24 AM
    He will need to get a registered copy of his birth certificate before any more advice can be given to see if it is wrong or not.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
    We are stuck then until he can call tomorrow. I should mention we are now living in Calgary so phone calls will be the only way. I hope this is not a huge mess for us.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
    When did he find out it was the wrong date ? How did he find out?
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 11:37 AM
    This is a funny story in a way.
    Growing up they celebrated it Nov 14. His mom worked in nursing homes and when he was born was after shift change for the nurses or something like that. She assumed that it was not the 15 yet due to that.
    Fast forward to when he got his SIN card and he said he found out then from his birth certificate he was born on the 15. They then started celebrating it then.
    Last night I got a message on Facebook from his sister. She had to get a new birth certificate for herself. One question they asked (to make sure she was who she said she was) was her youngest brothers name and birth date. She was then informed he was born on the 14.
    We are planning on calling tomorrow but I am worrying about how much of a legal hassle this will be and how expensive can it be.. I am a worry wort I know.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Mogrann, social insurance numbers are obtained with a birth certificate. When he was born, the hospital would have filled out his birth certificate, not his mother. When his sister called and stated his birth date was the 14, they corrected her, meaning that they already have the correct information on hand.

In other words, the only issue he will likely face is celebrating his birthday one day later. I don't think you'll have any legal issues with this, as it seems they already have the correct information. He'll just have to state that his DOB is Nov 15 from now on.

That's my opinion.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 11:22 AM
    I hate waiting and that is what we need to do. Henry called and spoke to someone. He has to fill out a form and fax it to them. Due to the time change they will probably not get it until tomorrow.
    The guy was unable to check what his birthday is Nov 15 (what we have thought it was) or Nov 14 (what his sister said she was told by them that it is). This guy said there could be legal issues due to this but did not go into details.
    I will be updating here when we find out more and if needed will ask for help.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 11:27 AM
    And apparently the guy was shocked Henry's sister got that info as she is not allowed to be told that. It is a good thing if Henry has the wrong date that she was told but he was shocked it was released.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Henry got his birth certificate he was born Nov 14 not the 15. Do we need to contact anyone to get this fixed?
    EVERYTHING until this point has the 15 as his birthday. Can we do this ourselves or will this be a nightmare and a lawyer would be wise.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
    As Alty wrote on March 10th, I really don't see that it will be a problem. Henry should just let sleeping dogs lie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speeding ticket in Delaware wrong date of birth and race on ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help out.I got a speeding ticket in Delaware,measure speed 58 mph,posted speed 35 mph and was charge for 40 mph with a total of $65.60, I am from New York I can pay this ticket but there are incorrect date of Birt and my race on the ticket.should I try to beat this ticket and will I...

View more questions Search