Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dotty Gholson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2013, 08:50 AM
    What does the Groom's parents give as wedding gift for the couple?
    What does the Groom's parents give as a wedding gift to the bride & groom?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 08:53 AM
    My parents gave us twin beds and bedding (my husband is an Aspie and cannot sleep with anyone) plus the wedding/reception (very inexpensive, no dinner), and my husband's parents gave us money.

A lot depends on the economic situation of the parents and how much they are contributing to the wedding and reception. Often today, the wedding and reception are enough of a gift from both sets of parents. Wealthy parents may throw in a honeymoon or even a first home.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Unless there is some particular cultural expectation where you come from, parents of the bride and groom usually choose what they can afford to give.

My in-laws were quite wealthy and gave my husband and I the downpayment on our first house. My parents paid for the wedding.

I think cash is the perfect gift from parents, as the couple can use it toward their wedding, honeymoon or first home together. But frankly, if what you can afford is a blanket or vase form the registry, that's fine, too.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2013, 03:31 PM
    I would decide how much you can afford and want to give, and while sitting around over dinner, ask them casually what they will need, but without telling them why you are asking. I would also wait until close to the wedding, because a lot will probably change if they are just now getting engaged.
    Money is nicest for them of course, but what parent doesn't want to give something they can remember as from mom and dad? For instance, a big yard can require a lawn mower that costs 3K. Or they might not have a dining table and chairs... if down payments on a house are not yet possible for all of you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 04:20 PM
    As others have said, I really think it depends on the financial situation the parents are in. My FIL was deceased, but my MIL took care of the flowers for the wedding, the rehearsal dinner, and gave us a downpayment for a house. My parents paid for the wedding and our honeymoon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding etiquette; not invited should we give a gift? [ 6 Answers ]

The son of best friend of ours is getting married but we are not invited to the wedding. It is a large Italian wedding. We understand the bride's family does the inviting and are not upset that we are not invited but would like to give a gift. We do notwant to upset them on the other hand by...

What gift should I give my husband on our wedding? [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a love come arrange marriage it will in two months time, So I need to give him some spl gift on that day, so suggest me what should be done!! Give any idea

Gift for destination wedding and the couple is also having a reception 1 gift or 2? [ 2 Answers ]

I am attending a destination wedding, Aruba and the couple is also having a reception once they get back in New York. I am attending both. 1) Do I bring the gift with me to Aruba? 2) Do I bring it to the reception? 3) Do I get them a gift for both?

Groom's Parents Cannot Attend The Wedding [ 32 Answers ]

We are the groom's parents and are feeling badly because the bride has chosen a wedding date that is just previous to Christmas which is the absolute busiest time at our family owned retail store in Canada. That time of the year, we both work around 70-80 hours per week and our son manages one...

Wedding far away and groom parents can't attend [ 2 Answers ]

My son just got engaged. His Fiancée wants to get married on Caribbean island... always her dream... they have planned a cruise next year and are taking her mother and grandparents. My husband and I cannot get away at that time and cannot afford the cruise. I also do not think it is appropriate to...

View more questions Search