Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rasco847 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Sump pump lowering toilet water level?
    In my house its sounds like the sump pump kicks on and sucks the water out of the toilets lowering the level. It does this often, maybe once or twice a day. Does this sound familiar to anyone and is this harmful?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 09:21 PM
    It is installed wrong, call the plumber.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
    I'm attempting to figure out the connection between a sump pump suction line and your drainage system. Are we talking about pump that drains water built up in the basement due to rain or groundwater intrusion,(sump pump) or are we talking about a gray water or sewerage pump that pumps the discharge from a basement bathroom up to a overhead sewer line? (Grinder pump and pit)? Talk to me, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Tom, with the lower, shallower traps in the new toilets, they are easily pulled dry. A disposer or washing machine or dishwasher or sump pump causes the waste to move so much faster that it helps to pull the toilet dry. This is why those items are not legally able to be connected upstream of a fixture or within 10 feet downstream of a fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How come my sump pump pit smells & the water is dark [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my laundry room has started to smell recently. I took the cover off my sump pump & it smells really bad, so I poured some water in it, about 4 hours latter water came out of my floor drain in my bsmt. And partially flooded my bsmt. How is that possible since the floor drain is tied...

Toilet Water Level [ 5 Answers ]

How do I lower the water level in a toilet? I just bought a condo and the water level is much too high, it has to be lowered. How would I do it without calling a plumber? Can anyone help??

Toilet in the basement with a sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a toilet in the basement with a sump pump it wants to back up after a few flushes and it will go down when the pump comes on. What is the problem?

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search