Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    exile Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Alternatives to bankruptcy
    I don`t have enough debt to file for bankruptcy,only @ $500. Any alternatives?
    eaccm01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 03:43 AM
    Have you tried coming to some agreement with your creditors? Perhaps they would freeze interest payments and allow you to pay off what you owe in small amounts.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
    It will cost you more than the $500 you owe. Contact the places you owe it to and offer to pay something towards the amount each month even if it's only $5 to each place until the $500 is paid off. Bankruptcy is not a debt eliminator if you just don't feel like paying the money.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Exile:

It sounds to me like you just need some help setting up a budget and learning to live within your means. Access the following website (www.nfcc.org) and see a counselor. There is no charge and they should be able to help you.

You may also want to visit Clark Howard's website (www.clarkhoward.com). He is an Atlanta consumer advocate who has helped thousands get their financial house in order. You may be able to listen to him on a local AM radio station, as his talk show is now syndicated nation-wide. At the very minimum, you can listen to his show over the web.

Hope this helps!

Atlanta Tax Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Makari lightening lotion alternatives? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have been using makari for couple of months already. Although the result was amazing, I experienced severe breakout from it. Many have said that the caviar cream causes breakout. However, I think the lightening lotion actually broke me out more. Anyway, I haven't tried their...

Maybe bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Mom died in 2000, brother was taking care of her, he and I became joint owners of the house. He had been living in the house with her, continued to live there. He asked me to co-sign on a mortgage, to pay his debts and some of hers. I agreed (foolish of me). The house was assessed at $80,000; the...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person file bankruptcy from jail? Can they file on their own(Pro Se)? What county to file in--/the county of imprisonment or where the debts were incurred? Are fines, costs, and restitution dischargable? If someone had power of attorney for the one filing from prison, if possible, could...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search