Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meldouger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Closing my 401K?
    Hello,
    I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k...
    I took a loan out earlier last year from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is leftover after taxes... Can I do that? How much will I be paying on penalties and taxes.
    I know I need my retirement fund, but I won't have a house to retire in if I keep going at the rate of $-800.00 a month. I'm already a month behind on just about everything.:( Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.
    Melody
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Melody:

You CANNOT withdraw from the 401K, but only as a last resort.

You will pay normal taxes (both federal and state on whatever is withdrawn, PLUS pay a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty. The total tax will probably be about 30% for you, but can approach 50%.

If you do this, they will withhold 20% when they make the distribution, but that may not be enough to cover the tax liability, so be ready to PAY come tax time next year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
    If you took out a loan and you are no longer with the company, then that loan would be considered a withdrawal. In the year you lost your employment. So you will have to pay a 10% penalty plus taxes on that amount.

You MIGHT qualify under hardship rules if the withdrawal is to avoid foreclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing a S corporation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a S corporate but I closed the business so I need to know what should I do to close the business in the IRS and what else I need to do? Thanks for your Help :)

Closing a 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I'm on a Leave of Absence from my place of employment. I need money and the only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier this year, from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is...

Closing costs? [ 3 Answers ]

We Are About To Refinance,the Total Would Be 185.000 We Would Like A 30yr Fixed With No Points At 6.5% We Don't Know What The Closing Costs Will Be.does Anyone Know Approx How Much It Would Be.

Closing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my question is how long can I stay in my house after the closing I will need to make arguments to travel to my new house in another stats I waiting on the money I get from the closing to move basically thanks again Janet

Closing entry [ 1 Answers ]

At the end oa an accounting period, lackawaxen co. has the following account balances listed on its Adjusted Trial Balance: Sales revenue $100,000 Cost of goods sold $50,000 Administrative earnings: $25,000 Retained Earnings: 250,000 Assume there are no other revenue...

View more questions Search