Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinnie C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 08:57 AM
    401k loan interest
    I took a primary home loan disbursement from my 401k and pay it back principle and interest in after tax money. Shouldn't the interest be considered as after tax contributions and part of a cost basis for the 401k? This is not my first loan and I want to know if it would apply to past loans as well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Interest paid on a 401(k) loan is considered investment income to the 401(k). It should be treated no different than any other earnings on assets held by the 401(k).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 05:52 AM
    ScottG is correct - but to be sure your question is answered: the reimbursement from your wages to repay the loan is after-tax money, not pre-tax. To help understand why remember that your contributions to a 401(k) are tax-deferred, not tax-free. If you contribute, say, $1000 to your 401(k) using pre-tax dollars sooner or later Uncle Sam is goint to collect income tax on that $1000, the only question is when - whether in retirement, or as an early withdrawal, or by your beneficiary if you die first. Taking a loan doesn't change the fact that someone, some time, has to pay income tax on that $1000. Now suppose that you were able to take a loan worth $1000 and then could repay it all with pretax dollars - this would put the account back to a value of $1000 but you would have defferred income tax on $2000 worth of contributions. Ultimately Uncle Sam would be "out" of income tax on $1000 worth of income. So you see it wouldn't work out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2013, 08:20 AM
    I missed that part of your question. ebaines is correct the full loan payment (prinicpal and interest) is made with After tax dollars.

Essentially, when you take out a loan against your 401(k) you are making an investment, just like a bank does when you take a out a loan. The bank expects a return on its investment that is represented by the interest on the loan. So the principal portion of the loan payment goes to replace the principal borrowed. So the principal portion is just replacing cost basis. The interest becomes investment income. So you are essentially paying yourself interest.

This is why a 401(k) loan is such a good deal. Essentially, the loan is free since the interest you are paying is going right back into your account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Does 401K Loan Interest Change Basis? [ 8 Answers ]

Does the loan interest repaid to a 401K increase the basis of the 401K since the interest paid to your account is actually after tax income?

401K loan and interest expense [ 1 Answers ]

If you borrowed money from your 401 K, is the interest tax deductilbe for the borrower? Does the 401 K give you a year end report ?

View more questions Search