Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Our neighbor's get drunk a lot and I'm not sure what to do
    I dislike living next to a bunch of loud, drunk and childish 22yr old's. My fiancé and I are 20 but we don't act that way (childish). The guy downstair's has friend's over and partie's all the time. He listen's to loud music. He's told us that if it's too loud we can turn our's up or tell him to turn it down. But the main problem is that they get drunk and hang outside late at night. I can hear them and it's quite anoying. My fiancé woln't do anything because he doesn't think it's a problem. However I think he's just afraid to start conflict. Now just last night at 12 someone rung the door bell. It was one of the guy's friend's and he was VERY drunk slurring and stuff. That was very odd and I didn't like it. I'm not sure what to do. I mean these people are childish. They are grown men and women acting like children. Yelling and screaming and playing around. Sure fun's great but this is anoying. Like I said my fiancé thinks I should ignore it, but why should I? Drunks should stay inside, not go outside. I have a huge problem with people drinking to get drunk.
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Hi Raynefreak,

I understand where you're coming from. I used to live in a very obnoxious community in an apartment. The same problem you're experiencing now is what I dealt with every night.

It varies by state, but there are sometimes laws that prevent that kind of behavior being taken outside. If it is really bothersome, I recommend calling your local police department and ask them whether there is something that can be done, and yet still keep your anonymity. Let them know that there is disruptive behavior going on in your neighborhood and see if they will just come & check it out at some point during the evening.

I don't know whether you live in a house or apartment, but if you have a landlord; do let them know as well about what is going on. (That is if they're not already aware)

Unfortunately, as unacceptable as this behavior is, there's very little that can be done about it. Sometimes simply complaining to the proper authorities is the only possible resolution. I hope this gets worked out though because I know first hand how frustrating it can be to live around. Good luck & best wishes! I hope you're able to move at some point so that you don't have to deal with this any more.
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
    You have yourself in a bit of a fix. On one hand you want to be thy neighbor's keeper, but on the other hand you don't want to deal with an obvious problem. The bottom line you have to think about the situation. There are a certain type of prople that act in the way you explained. Drunks often use other drugs. Drugs that may influence people to do bad things. First they are knocking on your door testing the waters. The next time they may just kick it in. Tell your neighbor that you are not comfortable with their behavior during the parties. Let him know that it is not to be tolerated ever for these pepole to come to your door. Attempt to negotiate some circustances that you both can live with. If not follow the law and deal with it accordingly. I'm sure your realize that what your neighbors are doing is putting you at a higher risk of being a victim in your own home. Please rate this answer
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I agree - people who get drunk like that are hazardous. Do they get in their cars then and drive home? Or do all their buddies crash there? You could always gets the license plates and call them into the police. Also, the city should have a noise ordinance. Which is enforceable. If your landlord refuses to do anything about this, you can go over his/her head to the rental management and/or owner of the building.

It is not fun living below party people. I used to have a herd of elephants living above me - they allowed their children to jump off the furniture onto the floors and run up and down the hallways and lean over the balcony and scream. I made seven complaints one month. They were finally told to move. Now I have a wannabe american idol living above me who sings on the balcony at 2:30 in the morning. OY!

Good luck with resolving the problems. Hope you get some well deserved peace and quiet.

Mar 19, 2007, 06:52 PM
    All their friend's stay there over night or go outside. The other night we were trying to sleep and they were talking lol. It's so anoying. Then with the guy last night, that was the straw per say. But my fiancé just doesn't seem to care. We rent in an apartment complex. We live on top they on bottom.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Call the police. File a report.

Mar 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Yea I know what your saying. I want to, but I haven't told them to stop or that its anoying. And as I said I don't think my fiancé would like my calling because he seems to be either a pansy or not care lol.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Too bad this is happening for you. If these people go outside and are drunk... aren't there statutues for that? Is it reportable? Public intoxication?

Mar 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Yea I thnk it is illigal. I just don't know how to report it if my fiancé isn't getting it. I don't want to start a war. You know? Lol.
    connielee260 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 06:42 AM
    I have been bullyied by drunk and drug induced neighbors for 4 years. I have been threatened, told My dogs and I will be shot, cursed at, theift, destruction of property, slandered, bullied and so much more. I have been on axniety medications, called police, had rocks thown at my windows, loud music all night long, parties all around me all summer all weekend, and more. I am so tired and there is nothing I can do about it.

May 6, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCanada76 View Post
    Call the police. File a report.
    Easier said than done. I finally after 4 years of bullying called the police. They said these guys have all been in trouble many times. Meanwhile, I have to live here and now they are all causing me issues. If I go outside at all or my dogs go out in their kennel at all I get cursed. I am a prisoiner in my own home. The people I did talk to now avoid me like the pleg due to not wanting to get involved with the bullyies.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by connielee260 View Post
    Easier said than done. I finally after 4 years of bullying called the police. they said these guys have all been in trouble many times. meanwhile, I have to live here and now they are all causing me issues. If I go outside at all or my dogs go out in their kennel at all I get cursed. I am a prisoiner in my own home. The people I did talk to now avoid me like the pleg due to not wanting to get involved with the bullyies.
    This is from 6 years ago. They are all probably doing time by now.

May 6, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    This is from 6 years ago. They are all probably doing time by now.
    Perhaps!
    I wish all mine were; some just got out and others only did county jail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor's LOUD R/C car toy drives me nuts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Is there a way to intercept my neighbor's remote control car toy signal? He drives me nuts with this extremely LOUD toy. The guy is married, about 24 with a kid and owns the house next to me. I've closed the front door, all the windows and the noise still pierces through my house. I've...

Old cars on neighbor's property [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to sell my 3bed 2bath house in California. We live in a populated part of town but it's a nice cul d' sac location. The neighbor across from us has 3 old antique cars that she purchased over a year ago with plans to "fix them up" but since then they have not been touched. So now these...

Disciplining neighbor's kids [ 7 Answers ]

We have two kids 8 and 10; our next door neighbors have 3 kids: 7, 9, 11. In the past, they have played a lot together with minimal altercations. Recently, however, we noticed some bullying behavior from the neighbor's kids to my youngest child. One evening, my husband caught them in the act of...

What can you do to neighbor's trees? [ 1 Answers ]

As I understand it, you can trim back any branches or roots that a neighbor's tree puts over your property line. However, as I also understand it, you can not do anything that will injure or kill the tree. So what happens if your neighbor's tree's roots are damaging structures on your property,...

Neighbor's LOUD RC car toy driving me nuts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is there a way to intercept my neighbor's remote control car toy signal? He drives me nuts with this extremely LOUD toy. The guy is maried, about 24 with a kid and owns the house next to me. I've closed the front door, all the windows and the noise still pierces through my house. I've talked...

View more questions Search