Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcuillo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2013, 06:22 PM
    Thesis on gang violence
    I need help formulating a thesis statement on “Youth and Gang Violence its Causes, Societal Impact, Social Policies and Strategies for Prevention and Intervention. My research paper should focus on this theme and a related question.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 06:25 PM
    What do you have so far? Have you done any research?

Mar 8, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Since he is allowing us such freedom I am having difficulty narrowing it down in the topics he assigned to come up with something.

Mar 8, 2013, 06:30 PM
    The professor gave an example of a thesis of: What should be done about gang violence on long island?

But I do not want to copy his example. I also thought a thesis should have 3 main patterns. If so, I had seen on other posts: "Why is there gang violence, how does it impact our daily lives, and how can it be prevented?"
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Is there gang violence in your area?

Mar 8, 2013, 06:36 PM
    In my home town there is no gang violence, but in surrounding areas yes.
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 06:36 PM
    That's a good place to start. So, why is there gang violence? You'll have to research, and back up your claims. How does it impact our daily lives? More research, more back up. How can it be prevented? That's research and opinion.

You're just starting this, so I would suggest starting by researching all the questions you want to answer in your thesis. Find sources to back up what you write. It's going to be a lot of research. Don't rely on Google, go to the library, find sources for your research.

Writing a thesis isn't easy, it's a lot of hard work. We're more than happy to read what you find, and what you write, but the research part of it, that's on you. Not us.

Mar 8, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Yes, of course. I appreciate your help thus far. My professor wants journals as resources and books. I am just not sure if I am pleased with this: "Why is there gang violence, how does it impact our daily lives, and how can it be prevented?" as a thesis statement or if something else can be formulated. Is there suppose to be 3 questions in one thesis statement?
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuillo View Post
    Yes, of course. I appreciate your help thus far. My professor wants journals as resources and books. I am just not sure if i am pleased with this: "Why is there gang violence, how does it impact our daily lives, and how can it be prevented?" as a thesis statement or if something else can be formulated. Is there suppose to be 3 questions in one thesis statement?
    It really depends on what your professor wants.

Do you have a choice what you write about, or is Gang violence your only option? The questions your professor posted, were they an example of what he was looking for, or do you have a choice?

Mar 8, 2013, 06:55 PM
    Gang violence or youth violence is my only option, something tied into that and either causes, societal Impact, strategies for prevention or intervention...

Mar 8, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is there gang violence in your area?

My thesis should focus around either gang violence OR youth violence.. and then,focus on:

Causes or societal impact or strategies for prevention or intervention...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:00 PM
    gang violence or youth violence is my only option, something tied into that and either causes, societal Impact, strategies for prevention or intervention....
    How long does this have to be -- how many pages?

Mar 8, 2013, 07:01 PM
    One 8-10 page double-spaced research paper
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:10 PM
    One 8-10 page double-spaced research paper
    That's not very long to do all you mentioned doing. Chicago (where I live) is struggling right now with this very question. As for solutions -- we are finding that getting kids involved in sports programs, especially basketball, helps focus them and get their minds off mischief. The Chicago Bulls are helping a lot with this. Getting tutors for struggling kids is helping because poor students are the ones who fall into gang life. As for reasons kids need to be in gangs, it starts with wanting a family. Do some research on what Chicago is doing and you might be able to transport that info into your paper. My suggestion is to deal with only one thing -- reasons it occurs or how society encourages it or solutions to eradicate it.

Mar 9, 2013, 07:56 AM
    That's not very long to do all you mentioned doing. Chicago (where I live) is struggling right now with this very question. As for solutions -- we are finding that getting kids involved in sports programs, especially basketball, helps focus them and get their minds off mischief. The Chicago Bulls are helping a lot with this. Getting tutors for struggling kids is helping because poor students are the ones who fall into gang life. As for reasons why kids need to be in gangs, it starts with wanting a family. Do some research on what Chicago is doing and you might be able to transport that info into your paper. My suggestion is to deal with only one thing -- reasons why it occurs or how society encourages it or solutions to eradicate it.
    That is of great help to me. I really appreciate your assistance, thank you! I feel like I have something to start with now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Making sure children start school at the preschool level is being pushed in Chicago. Sports plus dance and art and music are being added to the school day or made into additional programs. Too many kids don't have dads in their lives and their moms work two or three jobs to put food on the table and a roof over their heads -- so guess what happens then?

Holler if you need a librarian! (I am one.)

Mar 9, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Making sure children start school at the preschool level is being pushed in Chicago. Sports plus dance and art and music are being added to the school day or made into additional programs. Too many kids don't have dads in their lives and their moms work two or three jobs to put food on the table and a roof over their heads -- so guess what happens then?

Holler if you need a librarian! (I am one.)
    That's great, thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thesis statement for a research paper on school violence? [ 17 Answers ]

I am writing a research paper on the causes of school violence and I need a thesis. Please help!

Thesis statement on gang violence [ 1 Answers ]

For research paper

Thesis statement on gang violence [ 3 Answers ]

I need help for my research paper

I need to write a thesis statement on school violence [ 10 Answers ]

Here is what I came up with. What do you think? Each day our children go to school to learn, only to witness some form of school violence. School violence in the form of bullying, trash talking to dangerous weapons bing deplayed.

Gang Violence [ 5 Answers ]

Is the gang violence worse in federal prison than in state prison?

View more questions Search