Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karthik28oct Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Income Tax for OPT Status (SSN and Medicare taxes)
    Hello.. I completed my masters in US and currently I am on OPT status.. I need to file taxes for the year 2012.

I heard that for OPT students, we don't need to pay SSN and Medicare tax. But as my employer is an American client, they don't know much about OPT status, I paid all my taxes as if I am on H1B through out the year.

1) So Is there any way I can claim that money back(ssn and medicare taxes).

2) I paid my college fee in the year 2011 but I don't have any incomes on 2011. Can I include those fee in 2012 tax returns. Thanks for your help..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 10:19 PM
    Karthik,

Print out pages 51-55 of IRS Pub 519, and show the payroll department that you were not supposed to pay FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes, and ask for a refund.

They may be reluctant to refund the money, but once you point out that THEY will nget a refund as well, they will find a way to make it happen, and you should get the money back in April.

The alternative is to submit Form 843 and 8316, plus a BUNCH of support documents, to the IRS and wait up to a YEAR to get the refund from them.

Sorry, but as a non-resident alien, your college fees are NOT deductible or eligible for any tax credits for either 2011 or 2012.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b OPT medicare SSN taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I came to US on a F1 Visa in August 2006. I Started my OPT from Dec 2008, and I got my H1b Visa in October 2010. My Employer has not been deducting SSNa and Medicare Taxes, since I was in OPT. Since my H1b started in October, should ask my employer to deduct these taxes? Or should I ask them...

SSN/Medicare taxes paid in error during OPT in 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I paid SSN/MEdicare taxes while I was working in OPT in 2005. I did not know then that it was not supposed to be deducted off my paycheck. As per the direction of the IRS customer service, I claimed a refund by filing form 843 in Nov, 2009. I recently got a response, saying that they are...

How to file for refund of ssn and medicare taxes f-1 opt [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a F-1 student on OPT and my SSN and Medicare taxes were withheld by the employer. I asked the employer for a refund but they said they are unable to do so and gave me a letter to submit to the IRS. I am planing to file for federal return using 1040 NR and claim for a refund by filing...

SSN and medicare tax in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had my OPT and SSN tax being cut by employer for the month of DEC 2007. I need to file a claim and get it from federal GOVT. Can you please let me know what rae the fomrs I need to submit and the address for which I have to mail. I live in California and my employer is registered...

F1 opt claim ssn and medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Country of origin: syria I have been in the US since August 2001 on F1 visa. Only left the US for 30 days in August 2002(been in the us since then).. Started my OPT on July 2004. Then started working for a company... Offcourse they deducted SSN, medicare taxes from my paychecks.. ...

View more questions Search