Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 16, 2013, 04:45 AM
    Film may be near obsolete but when done correctly there isn't a digital camera around yet that can match the quality of good film.

The best of having digital is no processing. But they still have a long way to go to match the saturation you can achieve from film. The good thing is that all of the training you have gotten and experience you have can be applied to the digital format.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

May 16, 2013, 07:15 AM
    ... realize now that you will probably want to demonstrate to your parents that photography is a legitimate use of your time and they may be the ones reluctant to allow or buy a better camera for you. Sounds like you might have to learn to become a better photographer with the equipment you have. If you have a budget, resistance seems unusual. $600 to $800 will actually buy you a very good camera. If it is your money and your parents want you to spend it wisely, then you have to convince them without nagging. If it is their money, sounds like you have more to work on and you might have to wait till your older. Learn the fine art of photography with the equipment you possess. Keep up your grades, show improvement in your writing, don't argue with your parents, keep up with your chores while your photography improves and perhaps they will relent.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

May 16, 2013, 03:39 PM
    ... learning more on the internet about cameras and found that I forgot about an important part of the difference between a DSLR and a point and shoot. A DSLR will have an interchangeable lens. Point and shoots are mostly fixed zoom lens. Is that what you're asking about?

If you're interested in taking wide angle or telephoto photographs, then an SLR is a must. SLRs are usually better quality cameras, and have more gadgets, bells and whistles, thus can be more expensive to own. Point and shoots are generally better for their price, convenience and simplicity. Professional photographers probably use SLRs when working and have point and shoots for spontaneous pics. Art can happen no matter the medium and because of the medium.

Film vs digital is nearly the same situation. Film probably does make a better art print, but you have to send the film out for processing, or have your own darkroom if you want full control. Digital pics can be viewed immediately, and the photographer has full control of the digital image.

Do you school homework frequently in front of your parents. Study about photography and art in front of your parents. Don't ask your parents directly for a new camera, but give hints around your birthday. Show them that you're learning about photography by showing pictures you've taken with the your current camera.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 11 years Old Should I buy a bridge dslr camera or a small compact camera? [ 2 Answers ]

I do have experience with a dslr camera

Deciding what camera to buy! Please help. [ 8 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew more information about these cameras. I am a beginner. They are both 35mm film cameras. How much would it cost to get the pictures printed? These are the cameras: UrbanOutfitters.com > Fisheye Camera UrbanOutfitters.com > Lomography Diana Mini 35mm Camera ...

Which camera to buy [ 3 Answers ]

I am signed up for a still photography class. I use a Canon A40 Powershot for work - I point the camera, press the button, it takes good photos. The instructor suggests a better camera - but he also said I could get a close up lens for the Canon. Any suggestions on what I should buy - or...

Could anyone suggest a good digital camera? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but oh well :) I'm looking for a decent digital camera. 4-5 megapixels, $400-$800 maybe :) I have looked at many but they all seem the same. I need something that will work with generic software, that doesn't store pics in a...

View more questions Search