Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Muffie123 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2013, 03:36 PM
    PLEASE HELP! This is for Psych 101, and I just don't get it! The question is below..
    Your friend asks you to explain to him why he keeps going back to smoking after quitting on several occasions. Describe the classical conditioning component involved in smoking (the CS, UCS, CR and UCR) and how spontaneous recovery can cause the recurrence of the smoking habit.

I PROMISE I AM NOT TRYING TO GET OUT OF DOING MY HOMEWORK. I UNDERSTOOD ALL OF THE OTHER QUESTIONS BUT THIS ONE!!!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 03:48 PM
    If you tell me what you think it is, I'll be happy to guide you in the right direction.

Mar 5, 2013, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you tell me what you think it is, I'll be happy to guide you in the right direction.
    Okay! Thank you :) I was thinking that the component involved is either a conditioned stimulus or response, but they both sound so alike! I know that daily activities can trigger a craving for a cigarette. For instance, if you usually light one up while driving, getting into the car will always trigger that craving.

As far as spontaneous recovery, my book says that it is "the reoccurrence of an extinguished response after a period of nonexposure to the conditioned stimulus." That sounds like Greek to me :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 03:56 PM
    The chart and other info on this page might help you. And think about how a person begins to smoke and what causes him to smoke and what happens if he stops and then what happens if he is in a room with another smoker or does something (drinks coffee? Reads the morning paper? etc.) he used to do while enjoying a cigarette.

Learning - Chapter 5
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffie123 View Post
    "the reoccurrence of an extinguished response after a period of nonexposure to the conditioned stimulus."
    A smoker quits. He avoids situations that used to cause him to smoke. One day he ends up in one of those situations. What happens?

Mar 5, 2013, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The chart and other info on this page might help you. And think about how a person begins to smoke and what causes him to smoke and what happens if he stops and then what happens if he is in a room with another smoker.

Learning - Chapter 5
    Thank you for that, and that website is awesome!

Mar 5, 2013, 04:01 PM
    A smoker quits. He avoids situations that used to cause him to smoke. One day he ends up in one of those situations. What happens?
    Okay, I see. He gets a craving to smoke if he comes in contact with someone else smoking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffie123 View Post
    Okay, I see. He gets a craving to smoke if he comes in contact with someone else smoking.
    Or -- I just added more -- if he starts doing again the thing(s) he used to do while smoking.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
    One day he ends up in one of those situations. What happens?
    He becomes a major complainer? Sorry, I know too many ex-smokers that have open-mouth-insert-foot syndrome.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 04:06 PM
    DrBill, who used to be one of our members, told me that smokers aren't addicted as much to the nicotine as they are to the ritual and to the pleasure that comes from connecting the cigarette to the activity.

Mar 5, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Or -- I just added more -- if he starts doing again the thing(s) he used to do while smoking.
    Exactly... I get it now :) Thank you very much!

Mar 5, 2013, 05:11 PM
    WHAT DO YOU THINK? What classical conditioning component is involved in smoking?
    These are my choices:

Conditioned Stimulus
    Conditioned Response
    Unconditioned Stimulus
    Unconditioned Response

These definitions are in my psychology book, but they ALL sound like they are the right answer...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What goes on in psych therapy? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been thinking about arranging an appointment with a therapist. What happens in therapy?

Clinical Psych.: Disorder or not. [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently saw a counselor for many sessions of insight-oriented/analytic therapy and then decided to have a psych eval, so the results were in the report as following: Averages for all other measures, including iq (90 - 110). Low-average: - perceptual abilities - visual consepts &...

Refusal to take psych eval [ 3 Answers ]

In April of this year my ex and I were both court ordered to take a psych eval. I called and set mine up. My ex did not. In August of this year she filed a motion to be exempt. The judge denied her motion and ordered her to immidiatly call and set hers up. I have finished and passed mine. My...

Guys think I'm pretty and charming,but they don't know I'm a virgin. (PSYCH TRAUMA?) [ 10 Answers ]

Here I go... I just turned 23 years in October and I'm still a virgin. I'm afraid of intimacy and I hate it because it has kept me from being with men and I'm not just talking about sex. I've had plenty of opportunities to lose my virginity with various guys I Really liked,-but I could never...

Neuro psych eval [ 1 Answers ]

What does a Neuro Psychological evaluation involve?:rolleyes:

View more questions Search