Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JD72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Insurance company sennding my medical info to another company
    My question is a insurance company sent my full name, social sercurity number and all my info concerning my short term disability claim to a third party on accident, is this a hipaa violation? They did send me a letter but offered nothing about what to do about it as far as my identity being stolen or anything? If this is a violation is there anything I can do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 01:26 PM
    That all depends on who EXACTLY the third party is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2013, 01:31 PM
    If this was done by accident, then yes it is a violation. You can report it at the HIPAA web site. They will investigate and maybe 2-3 years down the line, impose a fine against the insurer.

If you want you can contact the insurer and demand that they pay for a credit monitoring a service for you. But this appears to be an honest mistake, and its unlikely the 3rd party will use the info maliciously.

How did you find out about it?
    JD72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If this was done by accident, then yes it is a violation. You can report it at the HIPAA web site. They will investigate and maybe 2-3 years down the line, impose a fine against the insurer.

If you want you can contact the insurer and demand that they pay for a credit monitoring a service for you. But this appears to be an honest mistake, and its unlikely the 3rd party will use the info maliciously.

How did you find out about it?
    I found out about it because they sent me a letter stating they had done it. Then told me I needed to pay to have my credit monitored. Then they told me what it would cost to do so. I was dumb founded that they would expect me to pay for their mistake, I didn't know if I should report it to hippa or if I should just let it go.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Usually when something like this happens they pay for credit monitoring. I would suggest that, if they don't you will report it to HIPAA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I write a good company profile as my company is ajuice processing company? [ 1 Answers ]

We produce juice from natural fruiits and tomato sauce

Can you charge an insurance company a fee for sending medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any provisions within HIPPA that allow a physician to charge insurance companies for copying and sending of medical records. We receive a large amount of medical record requests from Insurance companies in order for them to establish pre-existing conditions. I...

View more questions Search