Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matildas mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
    My six month old kitten left 5 days ago...
    I have a gorgeous 1 year old cat-Mayhem and a six month old kitten-Matilda. They are the best of friends. The both of them have a great home here and lots of love. Each day the cats beg to leave the house. They know how to open the screen and come and go as they please. The older cat has been doing this for a year. I don't believe in cooping them up in the apartment. My kitten was not spayed for the vet told us to wait another month. 5 days ago Matilda left and never came back. We have found her in the front yard and when we approach her she just runs away. On top of that were convinced that she's porking it under the apartment. We've seen the male cat and heard the both of them. I have not heard anything today. I am now beginning to worry. Will my kitten come back after she fullfills her needs? How long will she be missing for? What's the likelihood of her getting pregnant? If she comes back can I spay her? The most important thing is if she'll come back? I miss her dearly, Shayna
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2005, 06:39 AM
    Hello,

Sometimes, being in heat can cause females to exhibit unusual behavior. It's rare to see them act hateful or scared toward their owner, but it can happen.

I wonder if something (besides breeding/being in heat) has happened? Maybe someone was mean to her? Could she have been injured?

I'd catch her as soon as you can and get her to a vet. Go ahead with the spay. Even when pregnant, cats can be spayed up to 30 days after they've been bred. After 30 days, the risks of bruising, bleeding out, etc go up considerably.

Spaying may also calm her down.

Has she been vaccinated? I hope you don't have the possibility of rabies in your area. Rabies can cause behavioral changes. Not trying to scare you here, but it's something we have to consider if she's been outside cavorting with wild critters.

I truly hope she comes back once she finished breeding. In my experience, most of the time, things go back to normal once they've finished their heat cycle or become pregnant. Unfortunately, there is a slight possibility things may not change unless you actively intervene as soon as possible.

Try luring her with canned food. If that doesn't work, try using a live trap baited with canned food or tuna. You may catch a few others before her, but keep trying. Most cats are smart enough NOT to get caught twice... unless their really hungry.

A couple of years ago, one of my cats, whom I've had for 8+ years, accidentally rode to work with my husband (11 miles away). He's the friendliest cat I've ever known but he acted like a feral cat who'd never been touched. I tried for two weeks to call to him and catch him, finally had to use a live trap to get him. Once he got home, he was his old self again and acted like nothing ever happened.

The point is, it is really hard to predict how any given cat will act in a stressful/strange situation or if they will be able to return to 'normal' afterwards. I would never have imagined my cat would ever run from me like that.

I hope things work out well for you. Please don't let it go on much longer.

Regards,
    matildas mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Day six
    Thank you so much for your response-
    She's never been hurt or eperienced and abuse. In fact we love both cats a lot. We put a can of tuna out last night and nothing has been eaten. We don't even hear her anymore. Im going to check the local pounds today. If she is breeding how long can she be away for? Were very worried and scared. We never thought in a million years that she would want to leave. She really has an incredible personality. She is fearless. We named her Matilda after the character in Leon The Professional. A young girl who is incredibly fearless. :) Thank you again, Shayna
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2005, 11:13 AM
    If this is her first heat, it can last 3 to 5 days. Subsequent heats last 5 to 7 days and repeat every two weeks until she's been bred or spayed. We usually spay females at about 5 to 6 months old before they go into heat. Some people mistakenly believe cats should experience at least one heat cycle or go through one pregnancy before being spayed.

I have no idea where that fallicy came from but it's not true.

If you have a picture of Matilda (BTW, I loved The Professional too!) try going to all your neighbors (even without the pic) to see if anyone took her in thinking she was a stray. People have a tendency to think just because a cat is out and about it is a stray.

Put up lost flyers and check your local paper's pets classified section. Also, think about putting a lost ad in the paper.

Definitely check the local shelters as well. Don't just call... go there in person. I know sometimes calling doesn't help because these guys have so many animals they don't always remember what they have (colors, ages, etc).

I hope you find her safe and sound!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Neenah, WI. I started renting in Oct. of 2004. My year lease was up in 2005, but on my rental agreement it went to an automatic month to month if no other agreement was signed, I didn't sign another one and it started month to month Oct 2005. On the agreement it said I cannot move out...

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

View more questions Search